Layered wetsuits for 13°C/55°F waters

Would you be OK with a 3mm full w/ 3mm shorty, hood, socks, and gloves at 13°C/55°F?

• Yes

Votes: 6 6.8%
  • No

Votes: 82 93.2%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did not see any option in your question that applies to old native Floridians. The answer is AWHELL NO!!

Temperature, time and number of dives all play a key roll in deciding what thermal protection to wear.

If you're like me and plan on being in the water for at least 100 mins with possibly a double dive, then you'll want a drysuit with some decent undergarments. If you're going for a 30 minute splash then a wetsuit may well suffice.

I have started using my drysuit as much as possible, because it just stops me getting cold at all, which is great! I wouldn't dive wet <16c and even then I'd only do a single 100-120 min dive.

Update on this, now that I did the dive. It was just a single 38 minute dive to shallow depths (I think 15.8M was my max), but I could have done another.

Wore 5mm gloves, 7mm hood, 3mm socks under 3mm boots. Main protection was a full 3mm under a full 5mm. the hood/gloves/boots were layered in-between the two wetsuits.

Dive conditions were 13°C at the surface and 12°C at depth.

Conclusion, for the single dive, I probably could have gotten away with the 5mm full suit alone, but the extra protection was nice, a 7m single could be nice if I move back up north (though a drysuit is much more likely).

As a side note, there was a LDS doing an OW class there (tomorrow is a 22°F dive for them, different location (spring lake)). They had much lower protection than I'd expect, I think one of the adults was in a 3mm, the others in 5mm. Most dove without gloves. The kids I feel bad for even more, one of them had to use a hot pack for their hands when they got out of the water.

recently dive Galapagos.water was 65.my setting:3 mm hood west,heating jacket,bare 5 mm.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom