Layover time in Houston

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hawkwood

MSDT
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
I have not been through the airport in Houson (IAH) before and so am not familiar with the layout.

We are traveling from Calgary to Bonaire via Houston. Our flight down gives us a 3.5 hour layover. We change planes (same carrier, Continental), but of course have to go through US Customs and then presumably security again (or is that area all considered secure). I'm not too concerned about that timing.

However, the return has us changing carriers in Houston - Continental from Bonaire and then United to Calgary. The layover is 2 hours to do US Customs and then security. I know it's tight, but is it doable? We often travel through Toronto internationally and I wouldn't be concerned there with a two hour layover.

Could anyone give me some of their "sage" wisdom?

We've never taken longer than 30-40 minutes to reclaim our bags, go through customs, and re-check our bags, and back through security in Houston. Unless something crazy happens, you should not have a problem. We've never switched carriers though, but I don't think you'll have a problem.

We have however experienced delays on the runways at Houston on more than one occasion.

After I posted, I thought about it some more. I don't know how different things work since you are from Canada. My post is based on us being US citizens. Hopefully someone with experience in your situation will add to this post.

Thanks guys!

The United flight is operated by Air Canada, so it looks like we fly into the international terminal D with Continental and then clear US customs and get the fight home in the same terminal - the timing should work. Thanks for the information.

The United flight is operated by Air Canada, so it looks like we fly into the international terminal D with Continental and then clear US customs and get the fight home in the same terminal - the timing should work. Thanks for the information.

Sorry, did I miss something? I though Air Canada and United were both in Terminal A.

Nope, you didn't miss something, I misread:

"International travelers are serviced by the Mickey Leland Building (Terminal D), which opened in May 1990. Airlines which fly out of Leland Terminal D are Aerolitoral, Aeromexico, Air Canada (Terminal A), Air France, Air Jamaica, Aviacsa, British Airways, Cayman Airways, Continental, KLM, Lufthansa and TACA."

Read too fast and didn't notice the "Termianal A" part.

Sounds like you might be familiar with going through Houston - any thoughts on the connection time?

The only problem that you might encounter will be in going back through security screening after you have been through Immigrations and Customs. When we came back from Bonaire last year, it seemed to take forever. BTW, I feel your pain for the red eye to get there and the early wake up to get to IAH, but it sure beats AA flying through San Juan!

Driftwood - All in all, its not too bad. The flight out of Houson to Bonaire is the "red eye", but at least we can get a bit of shut eye in the morning. We are staying at the Deep Blue Eden - very small B&B, so it should be a good place to relax - then a shore dive in the afternoon!

The return trip is great, providing we make the connection back to Calgary on time.

Coming from the left coast you are probably right. I just wish that Delta would get their prices in line so we could fly out of Atlanta. They have a much more civilized flight schedule to get to BON. IAH is almost within driving distance of me, but I would fly to Atlanta to avoid a red eye.

Another site that may help you is Bonaire Talk - The place to discuss everything and anything about Bonaire! and be sure to buy "Bonaire Shore Diving Made Easy" by Susan Porter.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom