LCBR Trip Report - August 2010

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Qnape

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My wife, daughter (16) and I spent 8 nights at LCBR in mid-August, and in short the resort met or exceeded every expectation! That is saying a lot, as the consistently great reviews the place gets had us expecting quite a bit. We stayed in oceanfront rooms, on the full (3) meal plan.

Traveling to LCBR went without a hitch, with the hop on the twin otter adding to the fun. We arrived on a Saturday and left on a Sunday, and learned that it is perhaps wisest to travel to/from the resort on any day other than Saturday. One of our bags was delayed at Grand Cayman until a flight later that day - no big inconvenience but if we had arrived on a later flight (with the bag delayed until the next day) ... Many of the folks we got to know that week left on Saturday, and were requested to send a bag to Grand Cayman a day early; we were told that this is only for Saturday departures and did not apply to us.

The beachfront rooms are large, very comfortably furnished, and had everything we needed. Counter space, a desk area and chair, and a table gave me plenty of room to lay out diving and camera gear, etc. The king sized beds were comfortable, and the electronics in the room (flatscreen TV, DVD player, and ipod dock and small refrigerator) all worked well and were put to good use. We brought some DVD’s and they were also available to rent there. The a/c’s in the rooms are more than adequate and we had to turn ours way down to find a comfort point - easy to accomplish. Ceiling fans and a nice but not luxuriously appointed bath with good quality bath product completed the rooms. The quality of the towels could be better, and for divers there can never be enough but this was not a problem.

The food at LCBR is often praised, and with extremely good reason. The quality is high, and the variety is excellent. Fresh salads were available for lunch and dinner, the soups were all excellent, and with 3 entree choices or more for lunch and dinner there was indeed something for everyone. Rack of lamb? Jumbo shrimp scampi? Not typical dive resort buffet fare, and full plates and big smiles were the rule at every table. Breakfasts also featured lots of choices, including an omelet station. A very minor complaint; sometime the coffee / tea could have been a bit hotter. Desserts are typically the high point of reviews we have read and we cannot argue. My wife and daughter fretted about what they should have that would not make them feel too terribly guilty, and for me, not a dessert eater, some fresh and delicious berries on several nights served just fine. All meals feature a relaxed and casual atmosphere - save weight when packing as shorts, sandals and a dive t-shirt are just fine.

My wife is a non-diver, and met a few others at the pool during our stay. She enjoyed services at the spa across the street, walks on the beach, and relaxing in and around the pool. LCBR certainly caters to divers, but staff also came to talk with the non-divers at the pool to ensure that they were happy. One request was common; the exercise room needs more attention, and in particular a treadmill would be great. Don’t be surprised to see one there in the future; the staff member showed interest in the suggestion.

Socially, the Beach Nuts bar is the only real option. You don’t come here for night clubs, so belly up to the bar and talk with the other guests, dive staff, and the bartenders. We found the music to be well chosen, the company to be good, conversations animated, and drinks strong enough. The bar was quiet on several evenings, but it was August after all - the resort was not full, and there were enough mosquitos to require a few squirts of high % deet repellant. Be sure to attend the welcome reception at the bar where the staff are all introduced, nice snacks are served, and free t-shirts given out to all returning guests (perhaps 60% of guests during our stay were returning, with some there for 5 to 8 times!).

(continued below)

Attachments

• P8151576.jpg
    P8151576.jpg
    419.4 KB · Views: 74
  • P8160307.jpg
    P8160307.jpg
    409.2 KB · Views: 63
  • P8160352.jpg
    P8160352.jpg
    434.1 KB · Views: 61
  • P8161754.jpg
    P8161754.jpg
    393.7 KB · Views: 60
  • P8170467.jpg
    P8170467.jpg
    405 KB · Views: 60
  • P8170490.jpg
    P8170490.jpg
    392.3 KB · Views: 52
  • P8170497.jpg
    P8170497.jpg
    416.7 KB · Views: 52
  • P8170502.jpg
    P8170502.jpg
    367.5 KB · Views: 67
  • P8180023.jpg
    P8180023.jpg
    380 KB · Views: 56
  • P8180038.jpg
    P8180038.jpg
    448.2 KB · Views: 52
  • P8190090.jpg
    P8190090.jpg
    447.6 KB · Views: 63
  • P8190103.jpg
    P8190103.jpg
    325.5 KB · Views: 58
  • P8190111.jpg
    P8190111.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 52
  • P8190114.jpg
    P8190114.jpg
    307.9 KB · Views: 52
  • P8190145.jpg
    P8190145.jpg
    401.5 KB · Views: 52
The diving from LCBR is, of course, world class by anyone’s definition. Bloody Bay Wall and the surrounding area has a well-earned reputation I can hardly improve with my praise. I will mention that diving within the marine park the concentration of life is greater than outside; due to weather conditions, a few dives had to relocate to areas outside the park. Visibility during our stay was good but not outstanding at about 60' to 75' or so. Water temps were like a sauna in NJ - 86 f down to 100'! We were pleasantly surprised by the abundance of reef sharks we saw; we observed at least one every day and sometimes several on single dives. Nurse sharks were not uncommon and turtles were seen on nearly every dive. Lionfish were not uncommon and divers were requested to point them out to dm’s when possible; several of the dm’s carried spears to dispatch the lionfish. This is not without risk, and one of the dm’s was out of commission recovering from a lionfish sting upon our arrival. Coral and sponge growth seemed healthy with larger specimen common. Huge coral heads provide infinitely variable structure on many dive sites, and a wide variety of reef fish, anemones, coral shrimp, crabs and others take refuge in the endless crevasses. This posed difficulties for several photographers with large rigs; my smaller setup has its few advantages. Lobster were common, and typically very large. Notably, we only saw a few morays - including a very large green well hidden under an overhang.

Two dives were scheduled each morning with the surface interval on the boat. Afternoon dives were scheduled for around 2:00 p.m. Night dives were scheduled on Tuesday and Thursday but had to be cancelled due to rough conditions. A rec dive to Cayman Brac is scheduled each week but in our case was cancelled due to lack of sufficient interest. I came to relish the deep dive in the morning, typically steeply down a swim-through or cut on the face of the wall exiting at 100' or so then angling less steeply back up and along the wall, cutting back over the top of the wall after reaching about 66% of our gas supply then leisurely criss-crossing between large coral heads back towards the boat at 25 - 40 ft. Between coral heads in sandy areas large stingrays were common, along with peacock flounder, conch, garden eels and jawfish. Upon reaching the boat, we typically found schooling fish under the boat, including at least a few barracuda. We always had something to see during our safety stop!

The dive staff were uniformly helpful and friendly. Divers set off in buddy pairs on their own, or could follow an in-water DM to help them find things of interest. On occasion my daughter and I were joined by a third diver we came to know well in a triad, this also worked very well for us. Reef Divers offers valet style service and will set up your gear for each dive after you set it up on the first day. They do not hesitate to allow divers who so desire to handle their own gear. We were happy to utilize their service and lazily spent some time checking gear for each dive. I had to move a few tanks lower in the harness; after wrestling gear all day I can understand why lifting my BC with the integrated weights inside onto a new tank might result in a bit of slippage down the tank. It gave me something to watch for as I checked my gear each dive. Dive briefings were detailed and clear with sites sketched out for each dive on a board making navigation easy. Ask Ron to draw a spotted eagle ray!

Dive boats are well equipped with fresh water hose, camera table, head, and modern safety equipment including DAN O2, radios and in-water recall system for emergencies. Cold water and snacks are provided for every dive, and a nice towel provided for each diver each day. Dm’s rinsed camera gear with fresh water immediately after each diver returned.

I have to mention a strange incident we had with one of the ubiquitous Nassau Grouper. These guys are friendly and clearly comfortable with divers. They follow you like dogs, often swimming adjacent to or under your legs or stomach. It was not uncommon to only become aware of them after they bump you. Divers often respond with a rub or tickle under the chin, accepted willingly. Oddly, with no provocation one grouper turned nasty and gave my daughter quite a scare. I posted about this incident separately under Near Misses and Lessons Learned, for those interested.

While unnerving at the time, having the unexpected occur certainly does not diminish our desire to return to dive again at Little Cayman. In our limited experience, the diving here was as good or better than any place we have seen! All of us, including my wife, were very pleased with our stay and we will certainly be returning.
:D:D

Attachments

• P8200196.jpg
    P8200196.jpg
    397.6 KB · Views: 60
  • P8200199.jpg
    P8200199.jpg
    405.6 KB · Views: 54
  • P8210283.jpg
    P8210283.jpg
    398 KB · Views: 52
  • P8210300.jpg
    P8210300.jpg
    380.3 KB · Views: 46
Nice photos.

I know that Grouper pretty well. He is not a bad fish, but is not always a puppy dog like most of the other tame Nassaus (7 come to mind). I have had him follow me closely for 10 minutes or more, without incident. But, occasionally, he does have his moments. I suppose a close encounter with him while he is one of his humors could be a bit scary for an inexperienced diver. Fortunately, Nassaus have no teeth.

The tame Nassau Groupers are the ambassadors (politicians) of Bloody Bay Marine Park. While divers are concentrating on them, they are not as apt to notice the beaten up coral or the algae covering parts of the wall on some of the dive sites.

Great trip report. I love LCBR so it is always nice to read a trip report from a diver's first time visit. Just affirms my view. Thanks!

Nice photos.

I know that Grouper pretty well. He is not a bad fish, but is not always a puppy dog like most of the other tame Nassaus (7 come to mind). I have had him follow me closely for 10 minutes or more, without incident. But, occasionally, he does have his moments. I suppose a close encounter with him while he is one of his humors could be a bit scary for an inexperienced diver. Fortunately, Nassaus have no teeth.

The tame Nassau Groupers are the ambassadors (politicians) of Bloody Bay Marine Park. While divers are concentrating on them, they are not as apt to notice the beaten up coral or the algae covering parts of the wall on some of the dive sites.

No teeth, yes, but he still managed to draw blood in three places, most surprisingly on the side of her head above the mask strap. Everyone was very surprised to see that she needed minor treatment on all three, mostly for the sting of salt in the scrapes. She has about 80 dives under her belt, but certainly had never experienced anything large coming after her before! Nothing horrific, but a truly new diver might have had a rougher time and panicked. That was my main concern.

I did notice a few beaten up areas, and one particular barrel sponge that had obviously been crashed into or landed on by a diver, with one side crushed. I guess better this than the worse destruction that might take place in the absence of a marine park and protection from fishing or other uses of the area; but divers still need to be even more aware of their effects on the reef. I found myself having to push to get my daughter to better secure her console and octo - just try to tell a 16 year old daughter anything at all!

- just try to tell a 16 year old daughter anything at all!

I have attempted that--with the usual lack of success. But take heart, the older she gets, the smarter you will become.

Sorry about the road rash, but it really was a valuable lesson for you both. You did well. I don't know what sets that Grouper off., but I certainly would like to. I don't deliberately interact with the Groupers very much, since I like to spend my time searching out the small stuff. But, if few other divers are around, they all (including this one) stick their noses in to see what I am doing. I have occasionally, seen him/her get aggressive, but not with me, and never to the extent that you describe.

Glad you had a good trip.

One grouper there definitely wants you to feed him. I have been told his name is Jerry. He will point at a hole and his spines will stick up. I was with someone who flushed out a squirrel-fish for him and he gobbled it up and went to the next hole expecting you to follow. Hopefully, he will develop a taste for lionfish! I understand they are getting fed some lionfish now with hopes that they will develop a liking for it.

Hopefully, he will develop a taste for lionfish! I understand they are getting fed some lionfish now with hopes that they will develop a liking for it.

I can confirm that - several lionfish were dispatched and served up to the groupers by the dm's on our boat. In one case, a reef shark swept in and took the kill instead. It was mentioned that at least one grouper in the area has been observed independently devouring one - a good sign.:D

Nice report and pics!! I am heading to LCBR in January and will be staying in the beachfront room.

A couple questions ...

Do they have wireless internet service anywhere at the resort?
Will I need converters for my electric gear (laptop, battery chargers) ?

I am really looking forward to my first diving experience in the Caymans.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom