LDS Loyalty

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We all appreciate a harmonious customer-merchant relationship. In that relationship, the customer is in charge. You can fire them, but they can't fire you.

If they don't like how I spend my money, so what. They are not in a position to pass judgement on how I spend. Only my wife is.

A good LDS wouldn't give two cents as to where the customer went to get additional training or purchase new gear. That LDS would ask the customer how they can perform better so that they can win more of the customer's business.

...do you use more than one LDS or source for your gear and training? And, does your primary/preferred LDS know... or do you just keep it to yourself? If they know, are they cool with it? Ever had confrontations/questions about it?

My advice is never discuss where you bought your gear with a LDS. Avoid the subject. If someone asks just say it was a gift, you cannot remember where you got it, shrug and ignore the question, or politely walk out. Your call, but don't invite criticism because someone will be judgmental about where you bought your gear and rant about the alleged negative effect it has on the industry.

Regarding instruction, its my advice to have as many individual instructors as possible from different sources. If you're a new diver how could you possibly know if your instructor is skilled, mediocre at teaching entry-level courses, or unsafe?

I've noticed a few things over the past couple of months that has concerned me a bit...

the guys are a bit snappy about some things, I'm not sure if it's me being over sensitive, but it's kinda annoying. we pay eachother out all the time and it's all in good jest, but I've noticed one or two things lately... I've sent someone there in the past who ended up buying gear from ebay and getting it serviced there, now i don't know how much help the store gave him initially, but, he did take the gear there to get serviced! & he joined their club! there are a few other things, but i've just put it down to the winter blues / bored...

My LDS has been around for over 50 years going into 3 generations with the youngest now in the shop filling tanks and such. Dad was certified by them and all my classes were through them. They know me by name and every time I pull up to the register with a decent purchase around 80$ or more they drop 10%. Major items I bought were BC, computer, couple wetsuits, 2 tanks, and a fair amount of small items. Everything I've bought used they serviced no questions or attitude. When I walk in they greet me and I have even been asked how a previous purchase was performing. They ask if I need help when browsing and have never pushed something more expensive. They service all my gear at reasonable prices and in fair times. Reg's are done in a couple days max, visuals and hydros are done in house and also done in a day or two. NO amount of internet savings could replace what this shop does for me as a customer. There are 4 other shops within a 30 mile radius that I have never stepped foot in.

Here is a little testament to their general attitude: I have an old 83' luxfer al80 with the 6351 alloy. It was a hand me down from Dad and still remains in decent condition. I was told by several dive shops in S.Fl. that it was trash and get it out of their building ASAP! seeking a fill during a dive trip (Vis and hydro were current). Got back in town asked about the tank, they checked the numbers, confirmed it wasn't in the bad batch. They said they would continue to fill and service it as long as it continued to pass.

I try to give them as much of my business as I possibly can because I hope they will be there for another 50+ years.

It is just a place where $$$ can be exchanged to goods and service.

Correct!

My wife and I run our own business, and sometimes we screw up, and sometimes we feel a customer has been "disloyal". But we have learned that grown-up business people sometimes have to swallow their pride and overcome their emotions. We know that we need to earn our customers' loyalty, and keep earning it, with good products and services at a competitive price, and a friendly, positive, helpful attitude.

Running a business isn't easy, and we all make mistakes. The customers we love the best are the ones who will give us unshirted hell when we deserve it: Criticism is what keeps you on your toes. Good businesses are kept good by honest customers: If your LDS slips up, let them know about it.

The only fer shure memory that I have of buying anything from an LDS was a mask strap. The rest of my gear came from either an online supplier like Leisurepro or Ebay.

An LDS or diver who insists on loyalty is simply being foolish. However, an LDS who is doing their job well will generate loyal customers, and they will likely do more for their loyal customers than for those who just happen to have an attitude of "you take my money and give me what I want and that's it."

That "more" can be discounts, package deals, first shot at trip slots, free classes, and all kinds of other things. But whatever it is, loyal customers will get rewarded by good shops.

The problem happens when shops who aren't working hard to provide good value (value, not prices - the two are different a point missed by many people who think there's no point to being loyal) start demanding loyalty. That is the sign of a shop that doesn't deserve loyal customers.

My favorite LDS actually encouraged me to take training with other shops and agencies because the owner believes that breaking out of the mold is a good idea for learning.

He believes in putting divers into water instead of just generating cashflow. He'd tell me to buy gears elsewhere if those other places give me better discounts than he can. That's why he gets 80-90% of my spent moolah.

Back
Top Bottom