LDS Loyalty

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The way I see it, it should be about the diver not the LDS. Dont get me wrong you should show your support but in the end its what price are we talking about.
I support three shop's and all three have what I need most of the time. And not every LDS has that one class your looking for.

And for what its worth LDS' need to come out of the dark ages and see that the net can make or break them...Like I said for what its worth.

Depends on the shop. I've had relationships with several in my area. As an independent instructor, some see me as "competition" while others see an opportunity for a cooperative relationship that benefits both of us.

Guess which ones get my business?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Here's how I see it and let me preface with this statement, I am not a dive shop owner.

So, if I were a dive shop owner and you walked into my shop, I'd be more concerned with helping you find what you needed in my shop and at a fair price, not where you bought your previous gear from. You're in front of me at the current moment and all I can focus on is the current sale at hand and hope that we treat you well enough that you'll come back again and buy something again.

I have no control over where you bought your previous gear from or why, my only focus is that when you leave my shop you're a happy customer who felt they got a solid deal on some quality gear and that you would patronize my establishment again in the future as well as recommend us to your other dive buddies.

That's how I expect to be treated when I walk into a shop.

I always think a good test of any store's customer service is to pick an item that you know they don't stock, and ask them if they know anywhere else you might look for it.

You can tell a lot about a place from the helpfulness of their reply.

I always think a good test of any store's customer service is to pick an item that you know they don't stock, and ask them if they know anywhere else you might look for it.

You can tell a lot about a place from the helpfulness of their reply.

I once worked at a shop that had all the other local dive shops phone numbers on speed dial. Whenever a customer wanted an item he didn't sell, he'd call around and help them find it.

He went out of business about six years ago ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

In that relationship, the customer is in charge. You can fire them, but they can't fire you.

"You are no longer welcome at this store. Please leave now." Interestingly, I could easily see this happening at a dive shop, but not in too many other retail industries, particularly for an "infraction" such as showing up with gear purchased somewhere else.

I feel pretty lucky, my LDS earns my loyalty. They provide truly expert advice and service, chat and shoot the bull even when I'm not making a purchase, and they don't nickel-and-dime on minor stuff (if I bring two half-filled tanks in, they don't charge for two full fills).

"You are no longer welcome at this store. Please leave now." Interestingly, I could easily see this happening at a dive shop, but not in too many other retail industries, particularly for an "infraction" such as showing up with gear purchased somewhere else.

Sad but true ... there are two dive shops in Puget Sound that I would not walk into because of this scenario. Not coincidentally, I suppose, I used to work at both of them ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Whichever one is closest to my house. I hate traffic, what's my time and gas spent worth to drive across town to save a few bucks? Oh ya, I like delivery too. Epecially on the stuff my LDS does not carry or stock.

One of the things I dont like about some shop's is that they mark their stuff up so high you dont want to buy from them and in turn walk out to find a better deal. I have been given dirt looks before and have seen this happen to others.

I feel pretty lucky, my LDS earns my loyalty. They provide truly expert advice and service, chat and shoot the bull even when I'm not making a purchase, and they don't nickel-and-dime on minor stuff (if I bring two half-filled tanks in, they don't charge for two full fills).

I've been 'banned' from one LDS over gear purchases, and banned from a certain dive group for differing viewpoints on dive styles, so yeah, customer's can be 'fired' so to speak.

Back
Top Bottom