LDS pricing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My word you certainly come across sounding like the proud owner of a LDS?...
:popcorn:

LOL. No, I'm in information technologies (but would probably be happier running a LDS). I'm just a big fan of the disappearing breed that is the small "mom and pop" operation, The little hardware stores, your LDS etc, that are being displaced by the big box stores and on-line retailers. I mean honestly, if it weren't for training and air fills to actually bring people in the doors, how long do your think your average LDS would be able to stay afloat?

LOL. No, I'm in information technologies (but would probably be happier running a LDS). I'm just a big fan of the disappearing breed that is the small "mom and pop" operation, The little hardware stores, your LDS etc, that are being displaced by the big box stores and on-line retailers. I mean honestly, if it weren't for training and air fills to actually bring people in the doors, how long do your think your average LDS would be able to stay afloat?

Dive communities need more informed consumers like yourself. I am not a LDS owner, but they would thank you anyway.

I mean honestly, if it weren't for training and air fills to actually bring people in the doors, how long do your think your average LDS would be able to stay afloat?

In the beginning, "average" divers were diving before there were LDSs. The loss of a portion of LDSs would not bring an end to diving. In some cases, it might make it better for all concerned.

When I was shopping for my gear, I was looking into buying a Suunto computer. I was tempted to buy online @leisurepro (a whole lot cheaper) but one thing that kinda scared me away was Sunnto/Aqualung stating that leisurepro was not a authorized dealer. I did find out that Suunto is having a promotion going on where they'll give you $200 instant rebate if you turn in an old dive computer/sign up for a specialty course. I did end up buying from my LDS and the $200 credit for my dive computer brought things down to a more competitive price. Here's the link Sunnto rebate link if you're still debating:

$200 Instant Rebate on Suunto Computers

Also, I was lucky to have a great DM with my OW/specialty courses who had no qualms recommending me to other LDS/sites to buy my gear too.

OK, I know there are a bunch of threads on LDS vs on-line, and I don't want to start another one, but I would like to get a feel for what the folks here would consider reasonable pricing at and average LDS. I just got my SSI OW cert (w/Nitrox) from my LDS, and had a very positive experience, so I'd love to give them my business, and I don't mind paying a bit more for the personal service and warranty etc, but I want to make sure they are not trying to stroke me. As an example, I was looking at the Suunto Cobra w/ compass and QD. He quoted me $865. It didn't take me long searching on the web to realize that $865 is basically MSRP! Is that normal?? Selling for full retail??

I'll share an experience with my shop. I dropped off my doubles for their VIP's and shop owner and I were chatting about fins. I wasn't in the market to buy but a question about why the blades were so long on everything in his shop sent him hunting for specs on Jet Fins (which he doesn't stock but can order).

Nowhere could he find the length of the blade, he did tell me how much he would charge me if I wanted them and showed me the catalog he has to order from...no blade length info there either. Whips out a Leisure Pro catalog from under the counter to see if they might have the length listed...jokingly says "Hey, I can't ignore the fact they're out there but don't look at the prices I can't touch them, I'll give you the best deal I can." No fin length info there either.

Your shop may or may not be able to get close to the internet price. My shop is small and he gets my business on some things because he recognizes the internet competition. He doesn't jerk me around and will actually recommend an internet purchase if he's unable to get reasonably close. That's working WITH the competition of the internet and building customer relationships. I'm an independent instructor and I'm comfortable sending my students to him because I know he'll treat them right. Sometimes he'll call me when the first one of the season shows up to rent gear for check-out dives just to make sure he's giving them exactly what they need.
Ber :lilbunny:

In the beginning, "average" divers were diving before there were LDSs. The loss of a portion of LDSs would not bring an end to diving. In some cases, it might make it better for all concerned.

I know the loss of a few LDS would not be the end of the world.
But the loss of all of them would kind of suck.

They will not all go away. There is clearly a new full service online store model that is proving quite successful for some. Unfortunately, it will not be successful for all. But for those who do make it, it is to their advantage to make sure that diving does not fall out of favor in an area due to lack of LDS support. I expect to see "affiliated" clubs, assisted by the more successful shops, take the place of the last dinosaurs as they meet their demise. And I see some very attractive advantages in such a model.

LDS = Local dive shop
MSRP = Manufactures suggested retail price

LDS = Local Dive Store
MSRP = Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price

FWIW I find that a lot of the enjoyment of this sport is going to my LDS hangin out talking with the other divers that venture in,sharing information face to face. These forums are nice but impersonal. The owner of my LDS and I have a great freindship and I would always give him my business.:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom