LDS pricing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

All I want to add here, is that I find the policy of Minimum Advertised and Resale Pricing offensive in a free market. I find it wholly un-american and counter to free trade when a manufacturer (as more and more are doing) can come into a business and dictate what we have to sell product a for or how much we can give you a discount of. The mfg's say its to make it a level playing field for all parties, nobody promised a level playing field when I invested my money or decided to take the risk, and how is it fair that you as customer's should be forced to pay higher market prices to support poorly run small shops? This is a growing problem for some of us, even if we want to give you a better deal, the shops down the street run and cry to the mfg's that then threaten to pull our dealership if we don't support the MSRP or MARP. Price fixing used to be illegal.

Minimum Advertising Price (MAP) seems to be a more common restriction agreed to between the mfgr and the dealer and it seems to be a restriction that dealers can easily circumvent. Unfortunately, it may put you in the position of having customers that expect you to price bargain unless you adopt some more straight forward discounting means that your customers understand in advance.

My LDS tends to be about 10-15% more than LP or scubatoys, that said, they will always get first dibs on my money. Why?

1) For exposure protection gear, your LDS can arrange shipment and repair of zippers/non-wear and tear items for gear you bought through them.

2) Great friendly staff.

3) The more I've bought from them, the better my pricing has become. I've bought lights and other accessories at a discount comparable to LP.

4) My reg was bought from them, they will be servicing it.

5) I go there for gas anyways.

6) Try out gear before you buy. Can't do that with LP.

7) Free loaners for extended repairs or orders.

I take it that this customer irritant pricing situation was a surprise that was not discovered during the research and planning stage. That is unfortunate.

There are reasons so many small businesses get themselves into trouble.

No you take it wrong...it was readly know going in up front, just not negotiable....the business was not it trouble....quite successful for 20 years......just a source of great irritation.

OK, I know there are a bunch of threads on LDS vs on-line, and I don't want to start another one...

Yet, here we are!

Well, I think you at least partially answered your own question; its not just about price, it is also the service, support and that "little bit extra" that personal attention gets you. I am a firm believer in loyalty. I just bought a Sherwood Wisdom 2 from my LDS, when I could have gotten it for a LOT less at LP. This is life saving gear we are talking about and I do not take chances with that. Also, over the life of the gear, you will probably find that when you factor in service, maintenance, overhaul, whatever, it will likely be cheaper to buy from your LDS since quite often they may not honor the warranty, and the vendor may not either if you did not buy it from an authorized brick and mortar shop. Yes, they will service it, but you likely will get charged full price where you may get a discount on service if you buy from your LDS.

Don't get me wrong, I buy all kinds of stuff online like lights, wetsuits, reels, stuff like that. But for the REALLY important lifesaving gear; regs, computer, and yes, even BC, I will always buy from my LDS.

Loyalty also goes both ways. They know you can buy online. The more business you give them, the greater likelyhood that you will get some type of benefit as well. Perhaps student discounts and such.

Bottom line, buy lifesaving gear from your LDS.

I thought we were talking about scuba diving gear, not lifesaving gear. Just what is a lifesaving computer???:confused:

I buy some things on-line but most of my gear through my LDS. When I first got back into diving I would choke at the price difference between the on-line retailers and my LDS, but over time I have started to understand the value they play in diving.

Because my LDS is an Aqua Lung shop, they cannot meet or price match leisure pro, but I find I can negotiate other incentives when I purchase gear from them such as air fill cards, free classes, Trident trinkets, and gear service. If I were to add everything up I'm probably close to break even compared to what I would have paid at Leisure Pro.

Other benefits I get from my LDS that are tough to put a dollar value on but are extremely important:
- Free weekly local group dives
- Free use of the pool during their scheduled classes so that I can hone skills or try new gear. I can usually get an instructor to help me out if I have questions.
- If I have an equipment problem one of the shop techs will usually drop what they are doing and fix my gear while I wait.
- If I want to dive a site that I haven't done before or can't find a buddy I can usually call the shop and get one of their guys to go out with me (a beer charge may apply).

Your mileage may vary from LDS to LDS but if you find a good one their value over the long term will outweigh the short term cost savings. If not then they shouldn't be in business.

Mileage like that is often worth paying for. However, all too often, most will only give that to you for a price as well.

My former LDS (owner retired and closed business) was very much like that. Now I feel like I'm homeless!:bncry:

All I want to add here, is that I find the policy of Minimum Advertised and Resale Pricing offensive in a free market. I find it wholly un-american and counter to free trade when a manufacturer (as more and more are doing) can come into a business and dictate what we have to sell product a for or how much we can give you a discount of. The mfg's say its to make it a level playing field for all parties, nobody promised a level playing field when I invested my money or decided to take the risk, and how is it fair that you as customer's should be forced to pay higher market prices to support poorly run small shops? This is a growing problem for some of us, even if we want to give you a better deal, the shops down the street run and cry to the mfg's that then threaten to pull our dealership if we don't support the MSRP or MARP. Price fixing used to be illegal.

There are ways around every obstacle in life and ones such as this are no different. Dealer may write you a contract telling you what is the minimum you can sell that gear for, but they have absolutely no control over what kind of add-ons a a retailer can throw in, like a free or heavily discounted class, a free air card for so many fills, etc.

There is a way in life to make almost everything work to your advantage! The trick is to be resourceful enough to figure out what that is!:D The trick is to be part of your solution, not part of your problem!

Now, tell me what online retailer can really compete with that? So actually how the manufacturers sell to the online places like LP is actually a way of creating a more level playing field. If the smaller retailers would spend more of their brain power trying to figure out how to suceed instead of crying about why can't, they might figure out how to turn a nice profit.

Last edited:

I say buy things where you are comfortable, if it is online, at lp or at a LDS. As alot of online dealer are authorized dealers so the warranty issue is just a smoke screen. Divesports, ST and even LP are authorized deals of most brands they sell.

Yes I agree that you do develop relationships over time, and they do pay dividends for both parties. I have developed a good relationship with LP, and I get even better prices and they get more of my business.

Well, I think you at least partially answered your own question; its not just about price, it is also the service, support and that "little bit extra" that personal attention gets you. I am a firm believer in loyalty. I just bought a Sherwood Wisdom 2 from my LDS, when I could have gotten it for a LOT less at LP. This is life saving gear we are talking about and I do not take chances with that.

If a dive computer is "life saving gear" to you then you are not properly trained or properly planning your dive. There is little or no "service" or "overhauls" needed for a computer. Just change the batteries every couple of years, which most models allow you to easily do yourself. I hope that loyalty concept works out well for you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom