LDS vs The Burst Disk

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

post a picture if you find one, i have only ever seen either burst pressure or both service and burst pressure marked.
Will check tomorrow. Even if I was right, they might actually have both marked. I just have a strong mental image of a 3000 stamped on a disk, but in the absence of an eidetic memory I can't say for sure what else was stamped.

I got curious, and it looks like Piranha is at least intending to ship valves with the correct burst disks. Could have been a mis-pick when filling the order, or perhaps the OP accidentally selected the wrong option when ordering. I do wonder about that 3180 listed though. Closest Thermo lists is a 3130 with a 4694 disk that would align with an Exemption permit spec. Same Service Pressure for 3AL/3AA would be 5250. I have no clue what cylinder would have either a 3130 or a 3180 SP.

upload_2019-1-11_17-18-13.png

Will check tomorrow. Even if I was right, they might actually have both marked. I just have a strong mental image of a 3000 stamped on a disk, but in the absence of an eidetic memory I can't say for sure what else was stamped.

I got curious, and it looks like Piranha is at least intending to ship valves with the correct burst disks. Could have been a mis-pick when filling the order, or perhaps the OP accidentally selected the wrong option when ordering. I do wonder about that 3180 listed though. Closest Thermo lists is a 3130 with a disk that would align with an Exemption permit 4694 spec. Same Service Pressure for 3AL/3AA would be 5250. I have no clue what cylinder would have either a 3130 or a 3180 SP.

I think the valve in question is the piranha pro valve not the blue steel. blue steel is a standard size afaik.

Piranha Right Side Pro Valve

although the sherwood/genesis 1/2 inch burst discs don't seem to be that rare. trident sells them iirc.

So having seen that, I am now more open to the possibility there just might be an issue with the sizing (NOT the rating) of a replacement burst disk.

I got curious, and it looks like Piranha is at least intending to ship valves with the correct burst disks. Could have been a mis-pick when filling the order, or perhaps the OP accidentally selected the wrong option when ordering. I do wonder about that 3180 listed though. Closest Thermo lists is a 3130 with a 4694 disk that would align with an Exemption permit spec. Same Service Pressure for 3AL/3AA would be 5250. I have no clue what cylinder would have either a 3130 or a 3180 SP.
View attachment 498620

Faber and Heiser both made some 3180/90+ rated 3AA 120cf cylinders at one time. I don't think I have seen one in the wild in a decade. For sure I have never seen a Heiser 140 which had the same SP
Scuba Cylinder Specification Chart from Huron Scuba, Ann Arbor Michigan

Edit: 3180+ 3AA faber 100s are fairly common but I don't know why anyone would put that integrated argon reg/valve on one.

Pirhana needs to explain what is going on, and whether that is burst pressure or service pressure. Shame on them for selling that item without more info and context. I didn't see "buyer beware" in the listing.

burst pressure almost certainly, but 3/2 euro hydro spec and not 5/3 US DOT. my guess is this is due to a comedy of errors involving the chinese oem. 4500 psi is fine though unless you are filling your tanks outdoors in the winter in alaska.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom