• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Lead batteries on sea bottom

Discussion in 'Ocean Conservation' started by tarponchik, Nov 26, 2018.

1. KWS

KWS ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    but not if you drop one off they want a recycling fee to do it.

2. Vicko

Vicko Barracuda

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    In a navy shipyard here they had to organize a cleanup of the docks as they were getting to shallow due to all the batteries on the bottom.

3. happy-diver

happy-diver Skindiver Just feelin it ScubaBoard Sponsor

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Considering this is a standard Optima battery ONLY with carry handle but with
    terminal clamps and wires still attached, perhaps you could cast your minds to
    something dastardly, having occurred to what once surrounded it detectives!!!

4. tarponchik

tarponchik Loggerhead Turtle

I'm not worried much about the lead pollution side of this because lost lead sinkers weigh way more in totality, and in any case most of the lead polution in the ocean probably comes from the use of leaded gasoline, past and present. It's just ugly and useless. A cinder block may not be an eye candy either but it will be overgrown with coral and polyps eventually. However, objects like batteries in their plastic cases or used tires will forever stay foreign to marine life and landscape.

5. tarponchik

So what happened in 1990?

6. Wookie

Wookie Secret Field Agent ScubaBoard Business Sponsor

The coast guard stopped dumping batteries in the ocean....

7. Rred

Rred Manta Ray

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    "Dumping old lead acid batteries in the sea would not make economic sense,"
    But it DID make economic sense, for many years, for many users. As the USCG used to do. If you take those batteries out of buoys and bring them back ashore for recycling, that's time and labor. And potential injuries from acid and back strains and crushed toes. Time and money, all versus a pittance for the price of returning scrap lead.
    Now, that changed *somewhat* when the US (and other venues) imposed things like a core charge, to encourage recycling. Changed more with penalties for dumping lead at sea. Changed a little as scrap lead prices have gone up. But the point being--it did, and ignoring legal penalties or fines (anyone looking?) it still can make sense to just dump the old batteries.

But in the case of one "car" size battery at sea, more likely someone's dinghy just swamped or overturned and they're still saying "Damn it! I lost the battery!" Even if they were using a battery box and strapped it down, they could have just been passing a battery from a dinghy to the main boat to recharge it--and dropped it.

The question is, did the OP do the responsible thing and bring that battery back for recycling? (VBG)

8. Bob DBF

Bob DBF Solo Diver

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    And I thought it was the coffee mugs.

Bob

Dark Wolf and Compressor like this.
  9. Compressor

Compressor ScubaBoard Supporter Staff Member ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Recently I was diving in Florida and saw lots of batteries on the bottom. For good or bad, they were all covered in coral and some sponges.

10. tarponchik

I normally pick up trash whenever I can, but such battery is too heavy.