Leafy Sea Dragons

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I went on a road trip some years ago and it took me 13 months to get out of Queensland
If diving is your focus, I'd fly between major destinations.
I was only using my example as a way of saying there is so much to do in Queensland.

And I agree, flying to major destinations is the way to go and hire a car to get around [just remember to drive on the other side of the road].

Pressurehead, I definitely agree, you could dive somewhere different everyday in Queensland and it would take months to see it all. Ningaloo is definitely more compact and closer to shore, but even so you could easily spend a couple of months there diving and not see it all.

We really are blessed with awesome diving and weather down under. Even winter diving is enjoyable and not all that cold compared to a lot of other places.

Even winter diving is enjoyable and not all that cold compared to a lot of other places.
Our 'so called' winter [what a joke] I dived Lady Elliot Island in July for a week and the only concession for that time of year was I dived in a 5mm and was toasty warm, great time of year to dive [less storms] and too peopley in the warmer months.
Booked again in July 2023.
My Heron island trip early this month was cancelled due to the weather.

Thank you all for your input! I have 1 week of diving on the Spoilsport and then was planning 2-3 weeks of non-diving activities. Another person on the trip suggested the leafy sea dragons in Adelaide, so that's why I asked about that. Some other friends are planning to fly to Alice Springs after we finish the dive boat trip and I am thinking of joining them. Spend 4-5 days touring that area, spend a day or two in Melbourne, then fly back to Sydney for a few days. I'm a cold water diver from Monterey, CA, so Australian waters will feel warm to me!

We also have a trip planned for March. We are spending a couple of weeks in the Adelaide area as well as a week aboard the Rodney Fox out of Port Lincoln. We had to cancel the second leg of our trip to Tasmania when we looked at the Eaglehawk Dive Centre website. Our group consists of a dozen divers, mostly women in their late 60s-70s who don't make shore dives any longer. We all have large camera rigs, so the Eaglehawk boats would not be large enough for us all. No head on the boat was another nail in the dive trip coffin.
Did you go on your trip with Rodney Fox? I'm looking at that operation for 2025. Can you share your experience?

The jetty dives were great. I didn't enjoy the Kangaroo Island portion. I don't know if marine life was lacking or if the crew didn't know where to take us as they are primarily a shark boat.

The jetty dives were great. I didn't enjoy the Kangaroo Island portion. I don't know if marine life was lacking or if the crew didn't know where to take us as they are primarily a shark boat.
I didn't realise Rodney Fox did trips to Kangaroo Island, I thought they only did the shark dives.

Best way to do the leafy sea dragons is from the shore, much cheaper and easier really. Lots of places to see them too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom