Leaking Dive Housing lens

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tddfleming

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just purchased the new dive housing from GoPro to use with my original Hero. The good news is that the picture looks great. No distortion. I did have a leaking problem, however. I dove for 37 minutes to 31 feet. After the dive, I noticed that water was in the air gap in the square lens (see picture). There were only a couple of drops in the actual housing, which leads me to believe that the leak is somewhere in the lens. I have email the company, but no response yet. Has anyone else had this problem?
IMAG0358a.jpg

I just purchased the new dive housing from GoPro to use with my original Hero. The good news is that the picture looks great. No distortion. I did have a leaking problem, however. I dove for 37 minutes to 31 feet. After the dive, I noticed that water was in the air gap in the square lens (see picture). There were only a couple of drops in the actual housing, which leads me to believe that the leak is somewhere in the lens. I have email the company, but no response yet. Has anyone else had this problem?
View attachment 126662

hmm that is quite worrying. i just bought mine and im going to dive soon. let us know if they contacted u.

You are very lucky there I had a tiny bit of water get into a 3d housing a while back that killed 2 cameras, nothing like as much water as you got in there. I dont have one of these housings but you can try and unscrew the front screws and check the o ring as it may have a split or something there interfering with the seal. Probably best to wait for gopro's response though as they may want it back for a warranty replacement and to find out what caused your leak.

A good tip for everyone is to get any underwater camera housing tested in a chamber or take it down to your normal depth limit without a camera the first time to ensure there is no manufacturing or assembly issue prior to use.

That is also why I can't decided if I like the GoPro diving lens over my BlurFix.I like the BlurFix because it still has the original lens incase my BlurFix lens floods.

That is also why I can't decided if I like the GoPro diving lens over my BlurFix.I like the BlurFix because it still has the original lens incase my BlurFix lens floods.

Its also one of the main reasons I like that the Blurfix uses the stock lens, Im sure that not many GoPro housings will leak as the OP has but I dont know how strong these flat glass lenses are if at depth you bumped into a rock or bit of steel in a wreck. If it cracks the lens your camera is dead, with the Blurfix the filter is only a first part of the defense against water and you would need 2 big failures to flood your housing via the front port. Nobody is going to be bashing into things down there deliberately but accidents do happen which is why they are called accidents and not deliberates :D

I will get the GoPro housing just to test it out but until a good filter option comes out my Blurfix will get all the use, even after I have no issues with the Blurfix and will continue to use them. For land use the Blurfix is great for filter use too where the Stock housing will be a bit too fisheyed for me and using a cp filter on that big flat lens isnt ideal anyway.

Update - GoPro will replace the housing. They did say, however, that they pressure test every housing before it leaves the factory. Marty makes a good point about diving with the empty housing first. My list of lessons learned for camera equipment is growing pretty long. The company took a little over 48 hours to respond to my initial request, and then asked for some pictures. I have submitted an online form for an RMA (and hopefully a paid label), but that is still pending. The process definitely takes a while. It is going on 4 days.

The main reason I got a GoPro as my first underwater video camera is because I wanted to use it and learn any hard lessons regarding underwater equipment with something that isn't risking a $2000+ camera setup. The GoPro has been better then I expected and I haven't felt the need to upgrade just yet and will wait to see what the next gen of DSLR cameras will bring.

My main lessons I've learned so far are to always test any new housing before putting a camera in it.

Ensure the o-rings or seals are 100% clean before every dive, Ive seen people damage a camera with a single tiny hair running across the white rubber seal.

For a GoPro always secure the latch with a rubber band or something similar to avoid it unlatching under pressure and opening up near the surface.

Update # 2 - it took over a week to get an RMA number. Several emails back and forth, we provided pictures and filled out forms, long wait times to receive responses, etc. They are not paying for shipping back in order for them to send us a replacement. Customer service is definitely not the strong point of GoPro. The responses have been cordial, but it takes forever. I would take that into account while looking at alternatives. There is not a whole lot of competition right now, but that won't last very long.

hmm that is quite worrying. i just bought mine and im going to dive soon. let us know if they contacted u.

My Case Leaked n the same place, Though not so much. The first day I went to 100ft. and it leaked. So cleaned it up and relubed the main seal, then the next day did not go below 60ft. and it leaked again!! Luckily not enough to get to the camera!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom