Leaking Recsea Housing for Canon S95

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive-Boarder

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
After much deliberation I recently bought a Recsea housing for the Canon S95. I also purchased Dyron wideangle and macro lenses, all from Plongimage in France. To complete the system I have a an Inon Z240 strobe and Sola 600 video light.

I am currently on a 7 week diving tour of SE Asia. On my first dive with the camera in Anilao the housing flooded, destroying the camera. After dry testing the housing with no camera, all was well for a further ten dives or so.

I am now on Pulau Mabul, waiting to dive Sipadan. Yesterday my housing flooded for a second time, destroying a SECOND camera. I tested it again today, with no camera (I have none left) and it flooded again.

I bought the Recsea housing after studying the useful reviews on this sight. It cost over £600 and is supposed to be the best available. It has now ruined £700 worth of cameras. It would have wrecked a third.

I have used it as per the instructions with respect to preparation etc.

I am not a technician, but the back door appears to wobble around the hinges, and the gap between the door and the main housing is not consistent on the right hand side (near the sealing mechanism). Whatever the reason, the housing appears to be defective.

I have been in email contact with Plongimage. I have just received a message from the Manager stating that they are NOT responsible for changing any goods, since they are not the manufacturer. Apparently the housing must be sent back to Japan for examination, whereupon it might be replaced if deemed to be faulty. I have not received any reply from Recsea in Japan.

At the moment I am extremely annoyed and dissapointed. I understood i was buying the best product, from a reputable retailer. So here I am about to dive Sipadan, on a photographic holiday, with NO camera. Gutted would not be a fair description.

Does anyone have any thoughts??

Thanks

That is so sad. If I spent as much as that and it wrecked the trip you are having, someone at RecSea would need to see a Proctologist to have that housing removed.

Dive-Boarder, I'm sorry I don't have any helpful advice for you, I don't own one of these housings - I can't imagine how angry you must be. But as someone in the UK weighing up the pros & cons of buying this RecSea (from abroad, the only way for us) or the Fisheye FIX (from a UK dealer) your sad situation has made me reconsider my options. Still don't know for sure what to do, but I just wanted to say thanks for posting, I hope you can work something out.

Sorry to hear that. I recently bought a Recsea housing for my S95 as well and so far haven't had any issues.

It's interesting to note that the 'dry' testing without the camera didn't leak. Why would having the camera in the case be different? Are you certain that camera is seated all the way in the case? I would almost try the dry testing again to check for anything out of the ordinary writh regards to the case door alignment.

ky has a good thought there.
Might as well test it with a dead camera in it to see if it leaks again.

Did you replace the O ring?

Has the door been opened too far, sprung open distorting the sealing surface?

Is there a flaw, lip, edge, some inconsistency in the sealing area particularly on the right side?

My housing door wobbles on the hinge, it is not a bank vault, once closed it is fairly snug. I would not say the gap is entirely even all around.

I suspect a damaged O ring or FOD or user error, however, if indeed there is a manufacturing flaw you have a right to be annoyed, either way you have a right to be annoyed, just the aiming point of your annoyance would vary.

Sorry for your troubles, hope somehow things work out for you.

N

What a sad story. We all sympathize. This is not a lot of comfort, since you are rightly disappointed in the particular housing you got. I really wonder if the latch is working properly or the camera was interfering with the door and preventing a seal. Hard to guess from around the world.

They say the best camera is the one you have with you at the moment. I doubt there are dealers with stock in your area, but see if you can pick up a canon DC38 housing for a temporary use. It will work with those strobes etc, not the wet lenses sadly. Or try renting something, to finish the trip. And let us know how this one resolves after you get it solved.

What sort of tray system? A friend flooded her new G11 on her initial dive. She had previously depth tested the empty housing (not a RecSea), no problem. Afterwards she tested it again w/ just the flooded camera, no problem. Put the tray and arm on and tested, it flooded in the rinse tank. Loaned the housing to someone else who didn't use a strobe, no problem.

What was happening was she was not getting the tray absolutely flush & flat w/ the camera housing as she screwed on the tray. The back right angle lip of the tray was actually pressing against the housing door instead of being seated just behind the door. When the housing was lifted by the tray handle there was enough torque to slightly pry open the back and it would flood.

Obviously if your tray is prefectly flat this isn't the cause but something to check on, if your tray does have a back ridge. What a real drag though, especially having brought a back-up camera and buying a top end housing. And even more especially because of all the wonderful places you are diving. Sorry to hear this story Dive Boarder! // ww

You have the sympathies of anyone that has brought a camera underwater. This is what we all fear the most.

The anxiety of dealing with the thought of a flooded camera or other gear is what drives us to be obsessive with our gear and preparation, selection and maintenance. Still there are no guarantees.

How far into your holiday are you? I would spend more effort getting a camera and housing I can use so as not to waste the rest of my holiday.

Agonizing over trouble shooting your Recsea95 while on holiday will make you feel worse. Get a set up going and enjoy the rest of your holiday. I would still get an S95 and I agree with Slowhands and get yourself a WD DC 38 to use for the remainder of your trip.

It's hard but try to enjoy the rest of your trip.

Ozzie may have something, us not knowing anything about the situation and there being no photos of the system, but the FIX/Recsea door is flush with the bottom of the housing, if the tray were to interfere with the opening and closing or to press on the door when torque is applied, could indeed cause a flood.

On my DIY tray I specifically spaced the tray to be completely forward of the housing door so as not to press on the door, been there and done that before and yep, it caused a flood (on an entirely different housing).

Also, when seating the door O ring, I gently stretch it over and roll it on. This however often results in a twist which will cause a flood. To remove the slight twist I use a small plastic pick to gently lift the O ring and run it around the perimeter allowing the O ring to unwind and sit relaxed in the groove.

N

Back
Top Bottom