Leaking Recsea Housing for Canon S95

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Flooding usually happens after a poor inspection of the housing tht may be because part are coming loose or o ring problems
Aluminium housing can go deeper but I hve canon plastic housings for over 6 years and never had a single problem
I didn't buy the recsea because of the metal but because it makes me access all functions and I cn re use my inon AD lenses
However if I had to go plastic I would not spend more money for an ikelite for example unless I had 67 mm lens as that housing also does not access all functions
I don't buy a housing thinking of flooding it!!!

My thoughts on occurrences of leaks on the types of housings - Canon or OEM housings get a reputation for more reported instances of leaks and floods not necessarily because of poor design or build but a big factor is the fact that there are so many more of them hitting the water. With so many users and varying degrees of care and maintenance, I am not surprised by the high number of reports as well. As we find less units in circulation, we should also expect a corresponding decrease in reports of failures associated with the housing.

The more premium housings with less units in the field should also have less failures. However, when they do occur a greater amount of disappointment and frustration given there higher cost and owner expectation.

As usual I agree with Ozzi
Buy a $300 housing that floods and you are not happy
Buy a $800 housing that floods and you are totally devastated
However both can be flooded...

My thoughts on occurrences of leaks on the types of housings - Canon or OEM housings get a reputation for more reported instances of leaks and floods not necessarily because of poor design or build but a big factor is the fact that there are so many more of them hitting the water. With so many users and varying degrees of care and maintenance, I am not surprised by the high number of reports as well. As we find less units in circulation, we should also expect a corresponding decrease in reports of failures associated with the housing.

The more premium housings with less units in the field should also have less failures. However, when they do occur a greater amount of disappointment and frustration given there higher cost and owner expectation.

that makes total sense, and yes the high cost of my housing is one reason why im so upset esp as ive had less than year of diving-poss under 50dives with it. i now just want make sure i do everything in MY power so it doesnt happen again, unfort, i thought i already was, id taken to egypt a plastic tool box with bits and my o-rings in that would make a mechanic jealous lol including small torch and magnified glass.....my OH says im an@l with setting my gear up...but still i got leaks, ok so poss the first was casued by loose screw [big lesson learnt on that one] the 2nd was that coz id removed the o-ring and re-cleaned it and missed something on it?? or was it the gel packs or something else....who knows?

but i think i may look out for a canon housing just in case it should happen again....then at least i can use a s95 until i get the recsea tested empty on dives

I am based in London these days if you happen to be around (with your camera) give me a shout we will look at your procedures for orings etc etc
ok that be great thanks, i do get up to london although not as often as id like where about in london are you based?

I have just returned from a nine week trip to Indonesia (Bunaken and Lembeh), Thailand (Similan Islands), Borneo Malaysia (Mabul, Sibuan, Mataking etc) and the Philippines (Subic Bay and Puerto Galera). During this trip I did about 100 dives with my Recsea housing and S95 without incident. I have added a second Inon Z240 strobe and extended the Ultralight tray accordingly. My confidence in the housing has been greatly restored since my first experiences, reported here previously. I even managed to get one or two decent shots!! I therefore hope that my early problems were caused by the tray supplied by Cameras Underwater, and that the resolving factor was the straight tray provided by Jovic at Splash Photography in Manila. On the customer service front I never did receive a reply from Recsea, nor did I receive further help from Plongimage or the remaining part of my order (the flash shield). Incidcentally, I had some success using the Subsee +10 magnifying lens, particularly for very small subject such as pygmie seahorses.

Dive-boarder thanks for the feedback which certainly restores the confidence in all of us that have spent quite a bit of money for this housing! And great news you had a good trip

---------- Post added April 4th, 2012 at 10:16 PM ----------

ok that be great thanks, i do get up to london although not as often as id like where about in london are you based?

My office is in Piccadilly I sent you a pm with my email address

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom