Leaking SF2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AKinnunen

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi

My unit started to leak from the head module just after ~30 dives. The first only when it was in sunshine, now it leaks all the time, not so much, but leaks anyway. A head module is made using two POM parts, which are “glued” together using silicone.

Most likely a root cause for this problem is some hit when traveling. Many dealers propose to carry a head part in hand luggage during traveling, because they know that after some hit, leaking will start.. Screw tightening can help some cases, but e.g. factory does not want to give max. torque for tightening.

Does anyone know, whether the factory has tried to make a permanent solution to this problem, or will they just "glue" parts together again and again?

I have used my SF2 around 70 hours in one year by now. This is only one problem from the endless list.

Arto

Attachments

• Bubbles.JPG
    Bubbles.JPG
    37.2 KB · Views: 250
i know it very well fixed many...... silicon between..... remove cells, battery, and perimeter bolts.... pop halves apart, clean, re glue, lightly snug bolts, wait a day then tighten down (snug down) no torque specs exist.... put grease on bolts before reinstalling be careful just little ss inserts the bolts screw into will break easy..... if you need more help text me at 386-466-2113 its a very common problem..... doubt from travel some show up that way new...

Thank you for your answers and instructions!!

Looks like that this is one weak point of SF2. I opened the head a few weeks ago and can't see any leaking point. I was sure that if I "glue" them together like a factory does, this problem will repeat sooner or later.

Finally I gave up with silicone sealing and made my radical modification.

First I made a 3D model from the head part, I checked dimension using OMM, then I milled an O-ring groove and added O-rings. So far, so good, no leaks and several dives done!!

Of course, I wasn't allowed to make any modifications to the diving equipments!!

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 210
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    142.7 KB · Views: 198
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 189
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 198
Your solution seems 100% more elegant than the factory solution. Really nice job.

Thank you for your answers and instructions!!

Looks like that this is one weak point of SF2. I opened the head a few weeks ago and can't see any leaking point. I was sure that if I "glue" them together like a factory does, this problem will repeat sooner or later.

Finally I gave up with silicone sealing and made my radical modification.

First I made a 3D model from the head part, I checked dimension using OMM, then I milled an O-ring groove and added O-rings. So far, so good, no leaks and several dives done!!

Of course, I wasn't allowed to make any modifications to the diving equipments!!

Do you have that 3D Model or the CNC file etc? I’d like to do the same and would hate to reinvent the wheel...

Yes I can share files, no problem. Please send PM with your e-mail address, I can send to you step, pdf and Solidworks file. I haven’t had any problem after this modification.

Arto

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom