Leaking Sony MPK-PEA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

larrandall

Reaction score
# of dives
This past Thursday I took my P-73 and MPK-PEA housing down to about 70 feet, had something I wanted to shoot, attempted to power on and ..... no power on. looked a little closer and saw water (sea) in the case!

I thought that possibly I didn't clean and lube the o-ring properly, which I usually do, so I decided to attempt a test. I cleaned the o-ring again, lubed it, and carried it down on my next dive with a 1 lb. soft weight. It leaked again.

I am sure it is leaking around the lens gasketing.

This housing is over a year old and has probably seen 40-50 dives, but I have always properly cared for it.

I recall the warranty stated that the housing would be covered during the warranty period but not the camera, so beware!

I suggest that anyone taking camera equipment diving should get the equipment protection rider on your diving insurance. I did not, so I am out a housing and a camera.

I have the same setup but only used it in a swimming pool so far. Did you test for leaks when you first got into the water? my dads housing had a few leaks in a row and thought it was bust or something but after checking it over again the next dive was fine, so maybe you missplaced something when checking it out.

Mike7:
I have the same setup but only used it in a swimming pool so far. Did you test for leaks when you first got into the water? my dads housing had a few leaks in a row and thought it was bust or something but after checking it over again the next dive was fine, so maybe you missplaced something when checking it out.

As I said, I have used this housing many times without failure. After the leakage, I cleaned and lubed it up again, thinking there may have been a little something interfering with the o ring seal. I took it down without the camera, and it leaked again. Good luck!

larrandall:
This past Thursday I took my P-73 and MPK-PEA housing down to about 70 feet, had something I wanted to shoot, attempted to power on and ..... no power on. looked a little closer and saw water (sea) in the case!
I am sure it is leaking around the lens gasketing.

Sorry to hear that.. Got to be carefull wich I tend forget time to time. Anyway, with a leak like you had, theres not much to do..

While your here larrandall... What settings do you use? I've only been able to use the camera in a pool at the moment and I've been messing about with them all but the setting I've seen from other people and guides dont seem to match with this camera, so any help would be great... and lets hope you fix yours to carry on using it!

I have the same set up as well, and no issue.
Check your Home Owners/Renters Insurance.
Mine will cover my camera & housing.
Good Luck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom