Leaking tank valve to reg connection

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Saltair

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I did a quick dive the other night to clear rope from a prop I doubt I made it to four feet. When I hooked up my reg I didn’t notice anything amiss. The o-ring was in the valve the system pressurized and there were no hissing noises. In short all appeared normal. I jumped in did my thing and as I was finishing up I noticed I could hear the sound of escaping air. My reg is a Sherwood blizzard and I have occasionally, when in just the right position, heard the bubbles from the built in leak in that so I was not concerned at first, but this was louder. I could only hear it if a leaned back and submerged the valve. When it was out of the water there was no noise. I got out of my gear and back into the boat and sure enough there was bubbling coming from around the connection at the valve and when I put my ear to it I could hear the air escaping. I shut down the tank took everything apart and noticed a small upturned piece of the valve in the concave section inside the o-ring. So the question I have is would this allow water in the first stage? My first thought is that with the pressurized air coming out it would be very unlikely, but then I wondered if when I took a breath if there would be enough flow to create a venturi to draw water in. thoughts?

No water came in.

Small leaks like this get a lot of people all keyed up, in fact they amount to losing a couple of breaths during a dive. Still- they should be tended to and eliminated.

On a different note, I have a Sherwood Oasis that emits a steady zizz of bubbles (for some kind of theoretical marketing purpose, like yours has). It gets my fellow divers quite concerned.

There is full tank pressure in that area so it's impossible to get water into that area with the valve on, even with a few 10's of psi remaining in the tank your not going to pull a vacuum (which would be required to draw water in) in that area unless your really breathing hard. Even if you did, it would be sucked into the reg, not back into the tank. Not the best thing for it but a little fresh water in a reg is not a big deal either. Replace the Oring and forgetaboutit.

That turned-in area of the tank valve you mentioned is there to make it easier to remove the #14 O-ring in the valve. It's there by design, and will not cause any leaks. I would put the reg back on the tank, open the valve, and dunk the tank/reg in water to see where it's bubbling from. Then I'd fix the leak. Are you sure the yoke was completely tight? Hand tight is sufficient.

The fine bubbling from what looks like a black rubber plug on a Sherwood is entirely normal. Do not worry about it.

Hope you got your prop cleared.

.......I shut down the tank took everything apart and noticed a small upturned piece of the valve in the concave section inside the o-ring.......thoughts?

The "upturned piece" is manufactured and not a damaged area by the way. Just change the o-ring and you will be fine.

I suggest that you turn on the air briefly before attaching the regulator to the cylinder. There is a chance that sand, grit or dirt may have caused an imperfect seal. I also use air from the cylinder to dry the regulator dust cap after diving as well to avoid water droplets and any sand dirt or grit from getting into the first stage orifice or adhering to the sealing face.
The last thing may not pertain to you but it does bear repeating: Under no circumstances is it wise to lift your scuba equipment by using the 1st stage of the regulator as a handle. Chrome plated brass does bend.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom