Leaky masks and Mustache sealants & wax

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Have him make sure he wears the mask a little higher than might be needed without the 'stache. I have an Oceanic Shadow and just by making extra sure it is tight up against the bottom of my nose makes all the difference.

I must have been lucky all those years I had a moustache. Never had a leak in about 10+ years. Have since shaved.

Cheers -

+1 on shaving just below the nose. Keeps me dry enough to fly a CCR without any issues

Maybe a bit off topic; but those of you who use beeswax or other stash product and technical dive. Are you worried about starting a fire on your upper lip? We were expressly told in flight school not to use hair product like flat top wax when flying, as the high 02 content from wearing a mask would and did cause small explosions in the helmet, no joke.

I’ve heard of people eating greasy food before a dive, and switching over to high 02 mix in the dive and getting a small pop.....

Mods, if you want to split this into a new topic please feel free.

First, the mask has to fit. Poor fit, doesn't matter what he does.
Exactly. You might be blaming the stache for an otherwise ill-fitting mask. I shave the top 3/16" of my mustache, but not sure I really have to. If water is rising in the mask, there must be an air leak somewhere and not just the mustache.

I found a razor worked really well.... Seriously, the problem may be the mask not the face. I would go to the LDS and test a few masks out to see if he can get a better fit.

+1 for mask not fitting or not on correctly.

I always had a mask with a purge because of my moustache. I refuse to shave or use a sealant.

When I wanted a new mask to get prescription lenses I found the model I use didn't have a purge anymore. Got it anyway.

It doesn't leak unless it's not on properly (mask strap position has something to do with it as well). The little water that rarely does get in can be cleared by simply exhaling through my nose with my head at the proper angle. Still don't shave or use a sealant.

I agree it could be the mask not fitting properly . Chap stick or silicone
grease is always an option .
Sea Dwellers

Thanks everyone for your feedback... I'll have him read the posts.
...Hair on head too short to interfere.
...Beard 'N mustache always trimmed short
...Bristle factor (I luv that):wink: yep that could be a contributor for certain.
To Warren Z he's had the most success with Trident sealant... but while getting our gear organized for Bonaire, we've discovered he's almost out. Its hard to find here in rural Alberta and Amazon's target delivery is too close to rely on. So I guess a trip into the city is in order or a dive shop on Bon.
Cheers... 19 more sleeps until our Bonaire & Curacao bubble blowing vacation

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom