Learn to Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ALISDAIR

Reaction score
I am planning a trip to South Africa early next year, but am keen to add on 8-9 days to learn to dive (Open Water cert). Can anyone recommend somewhere in particular in South or Eastern Africa (Zanzibar, Mozambique, Malawi or other) that I can fly out of Jo'burg (so this doesn't rule many places out) to do this. Any recommendations appreciated.

Thanks

Alisdair

Welcome to the board!

For training I would recommend South Africa. Going a step further, I would recommend Durban or Umkomaas on the Natal South Coast.

For diving once certified, Mozambique, Kenya, Madagascar are all fantastic dive locations... but for learning to dive, definately SA. Durban is a 1 hour flight from JHB, Umkomaas is a 45 min drive from Durban.

You're welcome to send me a Private Message if you would like more info. Whatever you decide, enjoy!

Mark.

Hmmm... lemme see now... checking the trusty lists here... flip... flip... flip... here we go...

Name AHA Dive Center
Category Instructor Training Facility
Address Shop 2A Centurion Crescent, Lenchen Avenue

City Centurion, Pretoria
State Gauteng
Country South Africa
Postal Code 0046
Email ahaseal@global.co.za
Web Site http:www.centurionweb.co.za/dive.htm
Phone 27-12-663-3870
Fax fax 27-12-663-3920

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Name Andy Cobb Eco Diving
Category Diver Training Facility
Address P.O. Box 386
Winklespruit
City Umkomaas
State Natal
Country South Africa
Postal Code 4145
Email andycobb@iafrica.com
Phone 27-31-9164239
Fax fax same as phone

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Name Bass Lake Adventures (Pty) Ltd
Address Glen Douglas Mine

City Henley-on-Klip
State Gauteng
Country South Africa
Email basslake@basslake.co.za
Web Site http:www.basslake.co.za
Phone 27-16-366-1127
Fax fax 27-16-366-0133

Name Bud & Cathy's Scuba Academy
Address 22 Wagenaar Road, Edenglen

City Johannesburg
State Gauteng
Country South Africa
Postal Code 1609
Email cathymorris@fintastic.co.za
Web Site http:www.fintastic.co.za
Phone 27-11-609-6924
Fax fax 2711-452-7529

Name CTL Dive Academy
Address 348 Vine Avenue Ferndale

City Randburg
State Johannesburg
Country South Africa
Postal Code 2125
Phone 27-11-8866585
Fax fax 27-11-7876627

Name Little Nymph Divers
Address 18 Beit Avenue

City Farrar Park
State Boksburg
Country South Africa
Email micalert@icon.co.za
Phone 27-11-913-1792
Fax fax 27-11-917-4359

Name Reef Explorers
Address P.O. Box 48

City Umkomaas
State Kwazulu Natal
Country South Africa
Postal Code 4170
Email taryke@xsinet.co.za
Phone 27-39-973-0161
Fax fax same as phone

Name Scuba City Dive & Travel Adventures
Address Cnr Bond & Vale Ave.

City Randburg, Johannesburg
State Gauteng
Country South Africa
Postal Code 2194
Email info@scubacity.co.za
Web Site http://www.scubacity.co.za
Phone 27-11-787-1030
Fax fax 27-11-886-9130

Name SSI South Africa
Address P.O. Box 1172

City Ferndale, Randburg
State Gauteng
Country South Africa
Postal Code 2125
Email ssisa@global.co.za
Phone 27-11-787-1048
Fax fax 27-11-886-7329

Name The Wet Spot
Address 544 Roper Street

City Brooklyn
State Gauteng
Country South Africa
Postal Code 0002
Email Wetspot@icon.co.za
Web Site http://www.icon.co.za/~xscuba/
Phone 27-83-630-0256
Fax fax 27-12-346-5671

Name Aliwal Dive Charters
Category Charter Boat Facility
Address 21 Harvey Street

City Umkomaas
State Natal
Country South Africa
Postal Code 4170
Phone 27-323-973-2233
Fax fax 27-323-973-2133

Name Edu-Dive
Category Educational Dealer
Address P.O. Box 961

City Pinetown
State KZN
Country South Africa
Phone 27-31-728678 or 11-727201
Fax fax 27-31-72541

Name Oceans Alive Charters
Category Charter Boat Facility
Address 50 Grampian Road

City The Hill
State Gauteng
Country South Africa
Postal Code 2136
Phone 27-11-436-0355
Fax fax 27-11-435-4957

Have fun,
Rick

sodwana bay, sodwana bay, sodwana bay!!!
the mecca of sub tropical diving in south africa.
about 2hrs north of durban, part of the greater st lucia world heritage site.
i did a CMAS course here with Pieter Timm. he is one the most experienced and qualified divers in south africa and recently involved in the videoing of the caelacanth (prehistoric fish) at 100m meters down.
he has his own diveshop/bush camp set in the zululand bush and a real character. his open water courses (CMAS 1 star - a better course IMO) will put you back about 100-120 pounds sterling, incl accomodation!!! coming from the UK, you get to benefit from our pisspoor exchange rate. the dive shop is called Triton Dive Charters. dont let the issue of CMAS vs PADI deter you from going to Pieter, because i have yet to meet a dive operator who doesnt recognise CMAS. and if, in the future, you want to do the PADI Adv course, you can cross over without any penalty.
to contact him or get some quality advice, speak to Reon at reon@divesouth.co.za or www.divesouth.co.za .
i cant recommend Pieter or Reon highly enough, a far better representation of "salt of the earth" south africans, and not that overweight prick who assaulted the ref in the rugby match on the weekend.
cheers,
James

oh if you contact Reon, just make him aware that I referred you. you know - for the personal touch!!

Rather than spend most of your precious vacation "studying", I suggest doing your Confined Water training & your Knowledge Development (Academics) there at home. Then you get a referral and do Open Water on vacation.

Frankly, that's the way I would do it. :)

~SubMariner~

That might also help avoid a potential pitfall that I should mention: in SA, don't plan your visit so that your OW dives are one or two days before you leave!

The day-to-day conditions on SA's coastline are not always acceptable for students doing their OW dives. At best, the conditions are a bit demanding. On top of that, if there's been a bit of a blow (seas get ugly), and/or heavy rainfall (outflow from rivers), the day's diving may be postponed.

Ideally, you need extra time to cover for lost diving days. If you have 8-9 days to do the whole course, you could end up going home without your c-card. It's an outside possibility, but it can happen.

Mark.

Back
Top Bottom