Learn to Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Flytyer

Reaction score
Ok, I have been reading a lot. Here is what equipment was used during my discover scuba classes.

Reg aqualung titan
bc aqualung maverick
oct aqualung
not sure on fins, mask, no snorkel was used and not sure who made the gauge thing.

I am pleased with the instructor, and all the equipment was very easy to use.
My question is this, nobody on the forums seems to be very happy with aqualung type, equipment. Is this just entry level?

Ok, next, my wife did the discover scuba with me and enjoyed it as well. But she is not sure yet whether to learn to dive. And not many of my friends are real intrested. So will people just gravitate to other divers or should i keep looking for someone to learn with.

thanks in advance,
-Flytyer

all I need is one more hobby: fishing, kayaking, hunting, hockey,flytying, camping, the list goes on and on and on......

Not sure about 75% of what you asked... But from being a fresh through OW (Aside from having to go do dives 3 and 4 still)

I would suggest, try and talk your wife into going, I hear from many people diving with wife/GF is the BEST there is (wouldn't know, but what I hear) if she doesn't want to (bummer for you) I'd still take the class... your likely to have anywhere from 1-12 other people in the class all of which you can call to go dive with (if you get thier number and all)

As for finding divers, you'll have the class full to know right off the bat... also join a club, you'll find a lot, most clubs and members don't mind diving with the new guys, esspecially in the club events (99% of the time made for all levels of divers)

You can also do the continuing education thing... take OW, then take Adv OW... you've now got 2 classes of people to call to dive with...

Dive trips (you can meet people there to dive with)

Etc...

I personnaly have not got a single dive buddy yet... my class unfortunately didn't seem all that interested in giving out phone numbers, not to mention I didn't particularly like many of them... however.... I plan to take Adv OW as soon as the instructor has it, and I know many of them will be back... I also already have the opportunity to dive with a club (2hours from me, so can't join, as meetings are too far away, but they have extended an invitation to dive with them) and some other things... I'm most likely going to join the club at my LDS as soon as I get my cert... just don't feel like joining until I get done...

Hope that helps some... And yes, I liked the Titan reg also (same one we used, only different BC and all) More than likely I may end up buying one of them, I saw nothing wrong with it, and it worked fine for me.

Flytyer once bubbled...
My question is this, nobody on the forums seems to be very happy with aqualung type, equipment. Is this just entry level?
-Flytyer

I think it's a testament to the durability and ready access of Aqualung that so many scuba shops use the Titan as a standard for their students. While at the same time I think perhaps the inadequacies that even students notice while using that gear helps the shop promote gear ownership. I can say this, I can't recall ever having seen a student purchase one of these after their open water certification. Most will "step up" to something better.

Keep working on your wife, she may come around - and enroll yourself right away in OW.

DiverBuoy once bubbled...

I think it's a testament to the durability and ready access of Aqualung that so many scuba shops use the Titan as a standard for their students. While at the same time I think perhaps the inadequacies that even students notice while using that gear helps the shop promote gear ownership. I can say this, I can't recall ever having seen a student purchase one of these after their open water certification. Most will "step up" to something better.

Keep working on your wife, she may come around - and enroll yourself right away in OW.

Just out of curiosity, and not to get off the topic... but What inadequacies? I didn't notice anything wrong with it to be honest... my instructor owns all his own gear and owns one of the older version of the Titan and I thought it worked just fine... From what I thought of it I couldn't see any reason to go and buy a more expensive reg... maybee at deeper depths I guess? We were only at 35feet...

Ease of breathing
Breathing at all angles without aspirating
Range of adjustability
Higher performance at depth

All things an inexperienced diver may not fully understand till they've sucked gas from a better reg. Again the Titan performs adequately in the conditions a beginning diver would use it. It's been around for a long time (a really long time aqualung is THE Cousteau original). IMO its longevity is due to its brand, durability, availability, and cost. Aqualung makes some better higher end regs - give these a chance if your hung-up on the brand.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom