Learning Disabilities & Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

snorkelcorey

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm located in Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada.
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi, every Body. I hope some one will resopond to these two questions I have Divers who slight learning disabilities, but still want to dive. My question is this, can some who has a slight learning disability, but they still want to dive, would it take that person longer to learn how to dive, than it would some one doesn't have a slight disability? And how long would it take for that person to learn how to dive? And does it depend on the disability, that person has? I'm wondering because I want to take up scuba, but I get distracted, some times. But I'm determined to dive, despite of my short attention span. Thank you for your time and effort, in answering. Corey

snorkelcorey:
Hi, every Body. I hope some one will resopond to these two questions I have Divers who slight learning disabilities, but still want to dive. My question is this, can some who has a slight learning disability, but they still want to dive, would it take that person longer to learn how to dive, than it would some one doesn't have a slight disability? And how long would it take for that person to learn how to dive? And does it depend on the disability, that person has? I'm wondering because I want to take up scuba, but I get distracted, some times. But I'm determined to dive, despite of my short attention span. Thank you for your time and effort, in answering. Corey

Hi Corey
I'm a counselor for an adult Education course and I deal with students with Learning Disabilities (LDs) all the time, the majority of them are very capable of learning all the material required for them to pass the courses. BUT as you you pointed out HOW long is the better question. There are a # of factors to consider first; Severity of the LD, motivation and dedication of the student, size of the class and length, competency of the INS, and in some cases patience of the INS. These will all play a major role in determining how long it will take.
It is very dependent upon the individual, if they have a severe LD then it may take them a significant amount of time to absorb all the required skills and info. In some cases of a Very Severe LD (autism or down syndrome for example) it may not be possible to certify. If the student has a somewhat milder LD then their time can be much shorter or even right on schedule with the rest of the class (other factors aside of course). To put it simply if you can independentaly take care of yourself without assistance or guidance from any type of caregiver then you can be certified. The material is NOT brain surgery BUT it is LIFE SUPPORT so if you trust the person to take care of themselves on a daily basis without any supervision then they should be OK to get certified. Also as I stated earlier the amount of dedication and persistence will play a BIG role in determining how long, the more the better.
The next factor will be class size and duration, it has been my experience that LD students do much better in SMALLER classes with more one on one instruction time. Larger classes are more distracting, and there is usually less time for good one on one student teacher interaction; Both of which can make or break a students confidence and therefore their ability to learn. The duration of the class also plays a part, the longer the better. So I would suggest a LD student to speak to the Ins and dive shop and find a class that is not too large (6-8 other students TOPS smaller the better) and runs for a few weeks at least, no 1 or 2 weekends and you are certified type of class (the longer the better). Some shops may even let you sit in on 2 classes or allow you to use the pool with a DM or higher supervising. Ask around find a program that will meet your/their needs don't just settle for the fist one you find, find the best one for you. Remember it is you and your buddies life on the line.
The final factor is the Instructor, aside from the individual the Ins is probably the most influential component in the training. A student with an LD needs an Ins who knows how to deal with the sometimes special needs of these students. Most probably do not have any special training on how to deal with special needs students BUT that does NOT mean they can not be a great Ins for an LD student. What you need to look for in an Ins is someone who you can communicate with openly, so you can inform him/her of your condition and what your needs may be. Most of the time (I'd say 75% or higher) the student just needs more time to absorb the info and some extra time to practice it. It has been my observation that LD students pick up the physical skills quicker than the mental or memory component, due to the actual act of performing the act physically rather than trying to commit some fact to memory (not only do they see it demonstrtated they then do it themselves and this reinforces the learning). Also you want an Ins who is PATIENT!!!! Someone who is willing to demonstrate something more than once and is willing to WAIT for the student to be ready to move on to the next skill and not just breeze through the cirrculum.
SO if you an find a shop and Ins who you are comfortable with and is willing to work with you and your LD then I say GO FOR IT!!!!!!! It is definatley doable.

PS I have a physical disability, Muscular Dystrophy, and can not do alot of the Physical lifting or even going up stairs/ladders and such and I have been certified for almost 3 years now, if you have the will you can find a way.
Good Luck
WAC

I know that my LDS offers one-on-one private classes and certifications. You may just want to go talk to someone at a couple local dive shops. Just tell them the situation, you know, "Look, I have a learning disability and need a little extra time learning things... I was wondering if maybe I signed up for a private class, will the instructor be patient with me and go at my speed. I can learn the material, I just have to take my time to make sure I get it." If they want your business this shouldn't be a problem for them... and really you may benefit better from the one-on-one setting. :thumb:

I am a Rehabilitation Counselor and am currently employed as the Disability Services Coordinator for a university.

Whether a person with a learning disability should be diving really depends on the individual and their specific disability and impairments. If it is just a matter of having a learning disorder and needing accommodations and/or having the course material provided in a more accessible format it is not a big deal. The certification agency would be required to provide the accessible material under the ADA. An example of this would be a person with a severe reading disorder getting the course manual in an audio tape or electronic format. Lacking fluency or comprehension skills in reading would not neccesarily present any contra-indication to diving as not much reading is involved in day to day diving practices.

If on the other hand the person is ADD or ADHD, then you need to assess whether the impediments posed by a short attention span, distractibility, or hyper activity would pose a risk to the student during the course or after their certification. This is something that would need to be decided on a case by case basis in conjuction with a medical professional and/or a psychologist. If the person is on meds for the condition, the potential effects of pressure on those meds also needs to be considered.

Any of the more serious pervasive developmental spectrum disorders such as autism would also indicate a need for a comprehensive medical and psychological assessement prior to diving. For anything farther up the spectrum than asperger's I think it would be a very tough sell to convince a professional that the person would not pose an undue risk to self or others if they were a diver.

A fairly small percentage of individuals with learning and developmental disorders also have issues with fine or gross motor control and/or eye hand coordination. This would again be an indicator for a thorough assessment before getting clearance to dive.

Hi Corey,
If you want something bad enough, I think you can make it happen. It seems like you want it bad enough, so go for it! All you can do is try. If I can make my diving dream to happen, I think you can make yours happen. Everyone has a different learning style and I bet instructors will be willing to accomodate you if you explain your needs. Anyway, good luck. Keep us posted of your progess. Think posiive, it seems to work for me. Take care!
-Matt- :crafty:

Click here to greet a new member!
:happywave
No experience needed and it feels great!

What about people with ADHD and more advanced/technical diving such as wreck or cave ? How do we feel about that?

Matt the Wonder Boy:
Hi Corey,
If you want something bad enough, I think you can make it happen. It seems like you want it bad enough, so go for it! All you can do is try. If I can make my diving dream to happen, I think you can make yours happen. Everyone has a different learning style and I bet instructors will be willing to accomodate you if you explain your needs. Anyway, good luck. Keep us posted of your progess. Think posiive, it seems to work for me. Take care!
-Matt- :crafty:

Click here to greet a new member!
:happywave
No experience needed and it feels great!

I was surfing the board and came across this forum.
Hopefully I'll get some feedback.

I just had the upper right lobe of my lung removed and are going to continue diving. Going to start diving soon, so I completed the Nitrox course. Seems like a good idea since part of my lung was removed.

Looking for a diver(s) with the same situation to contact me. Either by replying to this post or PM me. Would like to know if there is anything that out of the normal scope of diving that I need to address.

All of my doctors say they do not see any problem with me returning to scuba diving.

My first dive plan is to do 2-20' dives to see if there is any change in my breathing underwater and how I tolerate the gear above the water ( getting suited up and entering - exiting the water from or to the boat).

Any information is greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Joe

DA Aquamaster:
I am a Rehabilitation Counselor and am currently employed as the Disability Services Coordinator for a university.

Any of the more serious pervasive developmental spectrum disorders such as autism would also indicate a need for a comprehensive medical and psychological assessement prior to diving. For anything farther up the spectrum than asperger's I think it would be a very tough sell to convince a professional that the person would not pose an undue risk to self or others if they were a diver.

A fairly small percentage of individuals with learning and developmental disorders also have issues with fine or gross motor control and/or eye hand coordination. This would again be an indicator for a thorough assessment before getting clearance to dive.

So then, what about a 10 year old with Asperger's/Autism?

debdiver:
So then, what about a 10 year old with Asperger's/Autism?
With regard to the aspergers syndrome, I think it depends entirely on the individual child and an evaluation and consultation with a psychologist would be in order before making that decision. With regard to age, 10 years old scares me all by itself. Personally, I made my non disabled sone wait untilhe was 12 as in my opinion younger than 12 is too young.

I was thinking 14 would be a good age for the paticular child I know. 12 makes me nervous, 10 scares the heck out of me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom