Learning to dive in Java

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yaritai

New
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone could recommend a decent place in Jakarta (or Western Java) to do the PADI open water licence. I saw one place was offering the course for $570. Is this about average in the area?

There's dozens good and excelent dive center in Jakarta; one of them is Bubble 5* Padi. I'm quite happy with their service when taking our rescue there.
The owner is TOP instructor; I don't think he's still active as he's now appointed as PADI regional manager.
I love their pool with glass window with view to their training room.
For open water session usualy take place at thousand island or shanghyang island sunda strait - check if this is included in the package price. The accomodation only at thousand island can be more than USD 100 / night.
Typical cost for OW is between USD 500 - 700.
If you're looking for lower cost, you may consider SSI or CMAS (local - POSSI) - I took CMAS * and have to say, the CMAS * programme is more comprhensive than Padi OW.

Thanks for the info mate. I'll check out the Bubbles place.

I was wondering if SSI and CMAS are recognised everywhere? I live in Japan and a Japanese friend said I shouldn't do SSI as it's not really recognised here. Are they just as good or should I pay a bit extra and go for PADI?

I have no problem with my CMAS though further I took PADI AOW and rescue. Similarly with SSI, I believe, well recognized at least in this region.
I think the quality of the instructor play more crucial role than the organization.
You may also consider other DC in Jakarta such as sea pearl, dive master indonesia, kristal diver, ody dive, planet diving Jakarta, guerilla dive, lautan mas, belajar diving dot com. Not all offer padi - just check directly with them.

Hey lads, can I take this opportunity to ask you the following:

I'm heading over to Malaysia and Indonesia from September through November and will be looking to improve my diving skills over there; would you be able to tell me what's best for a novice diver:

- Head to Malaysia first and do courses over there and then further training in Indonesia;

OR

- Head to Indonesia first and do courses there and then further training in Malaysia

I'm aware that some sites are more technical than others and you take the most of the dive once you have more experience; It's my first time in Asia and I'm lost between so many options to dive, so I'd appreciate any help/info/tips that you can provide!

Thanks in advance!!

Regards to all,

Gustavo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom