learning to dive with a disability

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jb013

New
Reaction score
Greetings,

I'm new to diving, I'm in a five week OW certification class right now and I'm finding an issue I'm trying to work through. A little background here, due to an injury over 20yrs ago to my right leg, a great doctor and a few surgeries, I wear a KAFO to walk, have a lot of leg weakness, some nerve damage and a nice collection of canes.

Diving is something I've wanted to do since a kid and it took a long time to get the medical clearance to take the class and dream of freedom without the braces. My problem is the right leg is so weak I'm having difficulties with the kicks. Normal flutter kick has me working on a perpetual right turn or a roll. My instructor has let me come for extra practice in the pool without any extra charge but let's be honest neither he nor anyone else at the dive shop or school can relate and help me find a way to compensate so I can experience the freedom I'm longing for.

Is there anyone on this forum with a similar disability who can offer me some advice?

jb

You may need special assistance. A couple of people on the board were involved in the SUDS programme, which helped to teach disabled military vets to dive. All disabilities are different, and they came up with a number of different approaches. I am sure that they could give you some valuable insights.

My recollection is a bit imperfect, but HowardE (a site admin) was certainly involved.

Like Rhone Man said, all disabilities are different and what works for someone else might not work for you. You might wanto to try webbed gloves in addition to your fins. Or play around with the position of your weights to keep you more level. (I don't have a disability but am a DDI Instructor).

Also bear in mind that any diver needs some time and practice to fine tune their buoyancy. As your buoyancy control improves you won't need to kick so much and will be able to slowly kick and glide through the water.

You could contact DDI (Disabled Divers International) info@ddivers.org who might be able to put you in touch with a dive centre or instructor in your area and this could be a good way to get in touch with people with similar disabilities.

Happy diving!

I'm pleased to see this question posted; I, too, have had a leg injury on my right femur 18 years ago (as a child) that has impaired my capabilities as well. And I share the concern of diving abilities. I figure swimming is a great exercise to get both legs working, as lifting and squatting weights I'm more prone to compensate to the other leg.
Best of luck on your diving and thank you, Akimbo for posting the link with diver disabilities.

Hello! Friend, I have also a little bit experience regarding this which I want to share with you. I have lost my leg during an accident. I was so sad that how can I dive. But I never lost my Patience and thought what should I have to do, I go to the surgeon and took the proper treatment. After 3-4 months, I again well prepared for diving and I approached to the shark diving. And, what can I say...What a lovely moment. I will never forget that time.

Thank you all for the advice.

To update my Instructor suggested split fins. Though skeptical when he loaned me a pair I was pleased by the improvement, still not great my atrophied leg does work better with them and I bought a pair. I've also found that turning is considerably easier by rolling onto my side.

I've also picked up a leg brace on eBay I'm going to be testing out next month. I'm hoping it will help since I can't take my KAFO diving without voiding its warranty. At least if the water ruins this one I'm only out $30 instead of $2k.

Handicap Scuba Association might be able to help.

After you get certified, you can always get a scooter...they rent them at many dive locations. There's even a PADI rec-level specialty.

erica_scooting.jpg

or a tow-behind:

DPV-Tech-Course.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome to the world of SCUBA. As an adaptive diver you should be taught by someone trained in adaptive diving. The Handicapped SCUBA Association International (HSA) was founded in 1981 and is in 45 countries.

Each diver is different. Some of the divers I have taught with your type of issue found using a mono fin worked for them, others just used one fin and crossed the weak leg over on top of the strong leg. Split fins are easier to kick and I personally find them great. Split fins require a small flutter kick, not a large one for efficient operation. The swimming brace may work for you too. There are many options, we just have to find the one that is right for you. Some divers just find it easier to be an arm swimmer. With a little experimentation you will find what works best for you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom