Learning to scuba dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jessica Anderson

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm curious...how old were you when you first learned to scuba dive? What got you interested in it to start with?

I'll start...I became interested in it as a young child. My parents used to talk about how they used to scuba dive before us kids were born and they told captivating stories of the beautiful sights that they saw. And I've always loved being in the water so it seemed like the perfect fit to me. The first time i had the chance to learn to scuba dive I was in college and I didn't think twice about taking that opportunity. I fell in love immediately and never looked back.

Your turn!

:clearmask:let's see...it was 1977, I was 19 and I needed a phys ed credit at college. Scuba sounded cool, my parents said "no way". So of course I signed up! Smartest thing I ever did.

I was also certified at age 19 in 1977. Scuba was something that always interested me from a young age and oh yeah, it's just cool!

Last edited:
47 - just this past October. A friend inspired me and off I went. Shocked the heck out of EVERYONE. I really did it to dive the Great Lakes shipwrecks I've been reading about for 25 years. I'll be doing that this summer. :D

25 years old in 1999. Had been free diving for years, since I was 15, spearfishing and lobster hunting. Could never afford to scuba.

Then I did my flight instructor course and one of my classmates was a scuba instructor and did a freebie course for a bunch of us. Didn't do much diving after that due money then in 2004 did the rest of my certs up to OWSI.

Best thing I ever did.

16, spent my first paycheck on certification in 1979 after watching Jacques Cousteau on TV. Became a starving student then job commitments and a 30+ year surface interval. Living 500 miles from the nearest dive shop didn't help.

Glad to be back!

Started at 60. Took an OW class as a lark, ended up getting cave and Trimix training in Playa, and a Prism 2 after I retired. Cocos Island with the Aggressor fleet coming up in May!

35 Taking my OW in Jan 2017. So just starting out really. Will be out of the water until the end of the year sadly as I'm having various operations done this year but looking forward to jumping back in asap

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom