Learning to speak Hawaiian?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba_drum

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I did a couple of searches, didn't find anything here on SB. As you have probably seen from some of my posts, I am fortunate enough to be moving to Oahu in the next couple of months for work. I looked around at some websites regarding learning Hawaiian, even tried Rosetta Stone (which does not appear to have a Hawaiian version). So I'm wondering, do you really need to know much Hawaiian or is what I'll need something that I'll just pick up once I'm there? I figured some of you locals there could put me straight!

Thanks!

you'll do just fine with English over here :) Learning the Hawaiian language is usually done for cultural reasons - it is a very beautiful language that lends itself easily to song. You are more likely to encounter 'Pidgin' English depending upon where you go in the islands. See Dennis' Post above or Hawaiian Pidgin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

2 books that deal with Hawaiian Pidgin well are:

http://www.pidginbible.org/Concindex.html (yes, it was a serious undertaking)

and the old time book of pidgin (not quite as serious an undertaking as the above)
Pidgin To Da Max

btw - when you get here don't confuse actual 'pidgin' with 'attitude' ... real pidgin is spoken less and less these days, but 'attitude' is, unfortunately, becoming more common (not sure how else to define it).

Back to learning the actual Hawaiian Language - probably the best way to go about learning it is thru one of the courses offered here in the islands - either at the community college or the continuing education department (lots of classes offered there that may be of interest) - I have a buddy that moved here a few years ago and one of the first things he did was take a Hawaiian language class and a Hula class ... His new found language has helped him develop lots of new friends amongst locals with Hawaiian ancestry ... his hula didn't help that much however...

When you get over here let us all know so we can show you some of the local diving.

Aloha,
Tim

Thank you Tim and Dennis. I will make it a point to seek you out for some local diving Tim, that is one of the driving factors that pushed me to take this position.
Thanks for the references, I'll see how they help. I like the idea of a class also, will have to look into it.
BTW, I have a "house hunting trip" coming up in February sometime (have yet to book it). My company is moving me out there and this is a benefit which I plan on using. How is the diving around mid February and would you be up to take a haole for a dive somewhere? I'd LOVE it if i could sneak a few dives in while there for that week.....

drop me a PM before you come - I'm off island for much of February, but if I'm available and weather permits I am sure we can sneak in a dive or two :wink:

Aloha, Tim

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Moved to our Talk Story forum

Echoing Tim's comments that you'll do just fine with English. I only hear Hawaiian at local events, parades, community get togethers, and of course in music. As you spend time in Hawaii you'll undoubtedly pick up words here and there.

If you're really into the Hawaiian language there's a distance learning program based in Hilo from the folks at ‘Aha Pūnana Leo.

Pidgin is alive and well here on the Big Island. I find myself slipping some into my own vernacular without even knowing it.

Congrats on the move scuba_drum.

-Eric

scuba_drum,

If Tim can't take you diving, send me a PM and I will square you away.

Tim,

I just got my gear back, wanna go diving soon?? PM me.

Peace,
Greg

Apropos of this thread I spotted the book "Learn Hawaiian at Home" at Target in Kona yesterday. Comes with a couple CDs and seemed comprehensive.

Have fun!

-Eric

Sorry about dropping out for a while, I have been on travel to Ft Worth for training for my job in Hawaii. I got to come home for 2 weeks for the holiday, working hard to get my house ready for sale. Haven't had much time for fun.
Thanks to all for the suggestions, I ordered the Pidgin book, it is hilarious. I'm also going to get the Learn Hawaiian at Home, will wait til I travel back to Ft Worth after the new year though (not enough time to get in in before I leave). With the exception of having to sell my house in a hurry and being on travel while this has to happen, we are having a blast with this new adventure of moving everything to Oahu!

Back
Top Bottom