Least Favorite Truk Wrecks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do you have the whole boat with your group? My understanding is that the Odyssey doesn't ordinarily hit the sub. If you DO want to hit it I would be sure to arrange that well before stepping on board.

I did several dives on the sub with Blue Lagoon prior to boarding the Odyssey, and found that to be a good approach. They were only too happy to accommodate my request to "take me where the Odyssey doesn't go" since I was going to be on the boat for two-weeks after my three days at Blue Lagoon.

Do you have the whole boat with your group?....

Unfortunately no, just three of us. The boat’s full.

… My understanding is that the Odyssey doesn't ordinarily hit the sub. ….

That’s what I understand as well. All indications are they are very accommodating but I doubt that most people onboard would want to visit the 169 in place of other wreaks. One of my friends and I were involved with the boats in the Navy, thus the special interest. The third person in our group has been on the Odyssey but didn’t dive the I-169 on her first trip.

… If you DO want to hit it I would be sure to arrange that well before stepping on board….

I did and he E-mailed to just ask the captain after getting onboard. I have also heard they will run a few divers to another nearby wreck on the Aluminum boat they tow.

I have spent a lot of time on large merchantman over the years so maybe I’m jaded. There are lots of rave reviews on the San Francisco but they are light on specifics. What makes the San Francisco so interesting compared to all the other similar vessels at Truk? I must admit that greater depth adds a sense of scale and excitement to larger wrecks.

I do have one quibble though: “probably the best dive in the Pacific”???… Bikini is in the Pacific and those wrecks have to be the best in the world! A little hard to access though. :wink:

Granted, I am biased. I have always been more interested in warships for some reason. I would be perfectly happy to never dive another tanker or bulk carrier no matter where it is.
Because of the huge amount of Weapons & Unexploded Ordnance on board and within her holds (bombs, mines, torpedoes, artillery shells, small arms/machine gun cartridge boxes--and three of the most photographed WWII sunken battle tanks in the world). It's amazing that the San Fran didn't go boom & take out half the Lagoon during the attack. . .

Not only the three tanks, the trucks (on the deck, in holds and on the sand), steam roller and smaller truck-like devices and much more in 40 to 50 metre visibility. It is simply brilliant. They do not call it the "Million Dollar Wreck" for no reason. Have a look at the link I provided and you will find reports, photos and video of most of the Chuuk wrecks.

Yes, Bikini would be great, but it is so hard and expensive to dive, it is really out of reach for most people, including me.

I don't know how much the Odyssey varies its schedule, but we certainly did the I-169 when I was aboard.

Everyone has a subjective opinion about wrecks. The San Francisco Maru is certainly one of the greatest dives that I have ever done, but for what it was worth, the Nippo Maru was my favourite dive(s) in Truk. YMMV.

I have also heard they will run a few divers to another nearby wreck on the Aluminum boat they tow.

I was lucky in that tbhe first week I was on the Odyssey there were only six passengers (the shop who had the week chartered cancelled a month out due to death of shop owner.) We called it "Friends and Family" week as it was me, one of the crew member's mom and his girlfriend, a former crew member, and two cave divers from Florida that were friends with Lenny. We'd decide at dinner each night where we all wanted to go the next day. Did a fair bit of deeper stuff that they don't usually do with a full boat. I had already done the sub a few days before, so we didn't bother on the boat.

I'd swap the sub for the second dive on the Heian Maru, which they usually do two on.

If Todd Emmons is still on board (crew/captain) tell him I said to take you to the sub. He still owes me for fixing his split fins a few years ago...

Todd3.JPG

OK, so which wrecks are lowest on your list? It still comes down to sacrificing on for another.
The airplanes!!
However, San Francisco Maru is definitely NOT to be missed. The only problem is lack of bottom time for rec dive.

btw, the Rio de Janeiro Maru's funnel & supersturcture amidships has fallen off (happened sometime last December) --no more skylight openings; a lot of big precariously hanging riveted metal plates all over the place going into the Engine Room. . .

Reactions: RJP

Back
Top Bottom