Leaving Cayman- try to avoid Saturday flights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shmuggy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We just got back from Little Cayman and stayed at Little Cayman Beach Resort which was everything I had hoped it would be. Diving was good- food unbelievable- staff incredibly nice and effective.

So my advice would be to go there to anyone who asks. I think the Oceanfront rooms are worth it but maybe not if I liked hanging out at the pool and bar.

I would also strongly suggest that you look at return dates that will not throw you into the Grand Cayman airport when everyone is trying to get out. I think there was a lot of cruise traffic and it was worse than a zoo. Had I known I would have stayed an extra day or two and avoided the big crush. The lines for all the airlines was at least an hour and then the security line was at least 1 1/2 hours.

Also make sure Cayman Airways puts your bags on your flight- our wound up in limbo at another airport as "unaccompanied baggage" and we almost didn't get it. At the baggage claim the rep said he would bring us our bag when it arrived on a later flight but an hour later I went back into baggage- no easy feat- and got it and dragged it over to the airline line.

Cayman Airways often gets creative with getting bags across to Brac and LC.
The planes are small and weight needs to be controlled and balanced. We have had our bags delayed a number of times but they always seem to appear at LCBR the next day. Make sure you keep essentials like medications, a bathing suit and prescription masks in your carry on, so that you can still go diving in the AM.

Agree re Saturday GC departure. Chaos.

I would also strongly suggest that you look at return dates that will not throw you into the Grand Cayman airport when everyone is trying to get out. I think there was a lot of cruise traffic and it was worse than a zoo.

Alas, that is just mid-day Saturday at Owen Roberts. Certainly there is little to no cruise traffic at the airport!

It's actually a little better than it used to be, with some extra seating space added in the departures lounge. Plans are already underway for further expansion and renovation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom