LED canaster dive lite how 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KCIREVAM

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I would like 2 find out how and where 2 get parts and put 2 gether a LED dive light canaster dive light. And a possible diagram.

Hey KCIREVAM:

Well, you could get the book The Divelight Companion which has a lot of diagrams, explanations, how-to's and where to get stuff information. I have this book and I love it. I'd venture to say that most DIY light builders have this book and like it as well.

With that said though, saving a few bucks as well, the Search Function above will yield any and almost all the information that you need. The names to look for, and in no particular order of likeness, are Packhorse, 350xfire, MrSpock, bronk, and rescue15 to name a few (well, ok I ordered them with some likeness in mind). I must give a special shout out to Packhorse though, because he not only makes LED canister lights and the such but he is continuously striving to make the next brightest, whitest, most economical, and most reliable LED light that can be had. Plaque and trophy to follow.

So, these will be freebees. I have done an advanced search on the forum, specifying DIY section and keywords DIY light and DIY canister light. 450 and 130 returns respectively. Also, use the search function in the red bar above and not the blue one. Oh, and Packhorse started a thread in DIY on where to get parts; this is handy because the places are up to date.

If you have any questions, the Search function will be your best friend. It is somewhat temperamental but you can find your answers here. And I highly doubt that you will have a problem that hasn't been had and conquered by others, and more responses will come when you want to ask a question or discuss an opinion about the best for your needs. Just put some thought into it.

Well, good luck and please post your progress and finished light here.

With kind regards,
Thomas

Packhorse has done much research into lenses and drivers etc... I am just a baby. The first thing you NEED to figure out is what you WANT!!! Oh wait... First how much you want to spend.... Then what you want (LED, HID, Halogen....)

The stuff I have built has been LED. I have used drivers on some lights. Recently, I have done a couple of lights with direct drive LEDs and they have been great. I had a driver problem once that made the light flicker while in a cave. So I decided to try direct drive and I like the simplicity. You may be giving up some lamp life, but I have had no problems yet. When direct driving you need to match the voltage pretty close to what the LED requires otherwise you will burn it up. I like the SSC P7 and the Crees that run at 3.7V. This way I can direct drive with 18650 Li Ion batteries. Just parallel a bunch (4-5) together to get the amp hours (run time) you want.

Light head, easiest is modified MagLite, you do have to massage it, though. I have used aluminum rod and bar to make a light head and like it as well. I currently don't have a lathe, but it would help out a lot to have one for this.

Canister- PVC, unless you have a lathe big enough to turn one out of acetal. I will be getting one, hopefully by May 25th as it is on back order. So I may be able to help with lid and can.

Parts- cable use Home Depo SWJO 16-2 or 18-3 (I think), agro glands from Oxycheq/Dive Rite or Salvo, latches from Nielsses Sessions (same sources as Agro glands)... You can buy cheap plastic glands for about $2, it's up to you. Packhorse has used them successfully. I prefer the Agro. More professional looking.

So, let us know what you want and how much you want to spend and we'll resume talks.... Just like anything try not to skimp out on stuff an lastly, don't expect your home made light to look like the pros. You can get close, but..... not quite.There is a reason why they charge $1000+ for theirs. They also use tools that cost $10,000's of dollars and professional machine shops.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom