LED vs HID

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RescueTechDiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
has any one ever considered using dive rite or salvos new 10w LED as a primary or has any one used one and could tell me why i woulnt want to use one as a primary?

Interesting question. I hope to see one in the water one day.

I was rather impressed with Dive Rite's hand held 10W HID light. It is now my primary travel light (out of country) as well as one of my backups here in Florida! It appears that their LED has about 2/3s of the lumens of the HID, so I would not consider it as a primary.

I use the SL6 lights (LED) as my other back up light. HUGE output for an LED and they are great.

The Dive Rite HID(handheld) is just as bright as a 10watt can light. The Downside is on the energizer batteries you're really only getting about an 1.5hour dependable burntime. First this will get pricey if you dive daily. Second, I get real pissy when my primary goes out before my dive is finished.
They are nice lights and I know a couple people who dive them as primaries, but typically for shorter dives only.
I've never used the LED Dive Rite light(I'm guessing it's not as bright as the HID, only 2/3's as bright according to the ad)
I use the salvo mini Rat as backups, (2Watt led) they are excellent backups but they are harder to signal with because the don't have as tight of a focus as a typical HID. The regular Salvo Rat LED has a tighter focus, but it's just not as bright as an HID.
Hope this helps.

Having owned the DR 10HID handheld, I can say that the Salvo handheld 10W HID is a better option. The main difference is the Salvo is completely delrin and has a rechargeable battery pack.

I sold my DR to buy the Salvo.

As far as the LED lights, the rat jr is a good option because of the size, but the poster above is correct about the penetration. Personally I will carry 2 rat jrs and 2 halogen tec 40s. When on the DPV or deep, I will add in the 10W HID as a backup.

Just my opinions, not endorsements, although the crew at Salvo kicks *** and has the best customer service period.:14:

The burn time for the Dive Rite with NiMH batteries is almost DOUBLE according to their literature. I have invested in a charger that works off of car or AC and 20 batteries. I was impressed that it only takes 10-15 minutes to charge 4 of these babies. I hope to dive these rechargeables soon.

new_products_1b.jpg

going to try this one next sunday
3 W LED
10 degree angle
It's alot of light for a good price(better price then heser or salvo)
more info at,
http://www.aquatecusa.com/whats_new.html

Have a 10W HID as primairy

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom