LED vs HID

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

(to see the self contained version, click on the link that says "SCULA" on that page)

This might interest some people, but DR plans to release a "canister" version of the LED before the end of the year as an add on. Basically they've designed something to put an cord and battery pack on the light they already have-- if you look at the pics of the light it wouldnt be hard to do. Also, this light is designed to be used with a goodman if desired.

The rep I spoke with said they would be released by end 07, but would guess on a price for the upgrade. I am curious to see what this does to performance of the light.

I'm not sure about the LED version of this light, but the HID is not appropriate for overhead environments.

Jeff

I guess answer is this. Key question is Primary right?

Don't divers want hands free operation?

How does a big light that occupies a hand be good for primary?

Don't we want a goodman type handle that will enable divers to clip clips and stuff to have full ability to do that.

Anyone ever lay line with a hand held lighting sorce in their hand? Harder to do.

For the cost different I would say go for a Diverite Slimline or a Salvo 10w hid light.

Big handheld light isn't the best option. Look at the divers doing line laying in caves.

D_B:
I see no one's posted this ... http://www.ssp.ie/prod_SU-main.htm

LED's have come a long way, and with these lights, are now firmly into HID territory

... and seem to be pretty "Robust" to say the least ... http://www.ssp.ie/SOLUS_DEMO.mov

Th current issue some have with the solus lights is that it is non focusable. For some this is even more important than the brightness of the lights as they consider a tight been for team communication as important as the brightness of the light.

I saw that .. But ... I've noticed that the reviews are not of the current, much brighter, Gen2 lamps (SU-1250 & SU-2500) and that the new ones have a tighter 7.5* beam
.. I would like to see how a new comparison would go

Just a note ... I have word from the managing director of SOLAS that the Gen2 1250 & 2500 lights are being tested and a link to the review should be up soon

... I can't wait :D

I've got one of the DiveRite 10w HID handhelds and enjoy it. I use it as a backup light cave diving and wreck diving. The main reason is because the Li batteries recommended are so darned expensive. Thye suggested not to use rechargeables.

I have noted that it is very easy for the battery pack to settle down on to the contacts (in a dive bag, etc). And so, just before your dive, when you check it, you discover those expensive batteries are done for. I've learned to keep it disassembled until ready to use.

jscott099:
I've got one of the DiveRite 10w HID handhelds and enjoy it. I use it as a backup light cave diving and wreck diving. The main reason is because the Li batteries recommended are so darned expensive. Thye suggested not to use rechargeables.

I have noted that it is very easy for the battery pack to settle down on to the contacts (in a dive bag, etc). And so, just before your dive, when you check it, you discover those expensive batteries are done for. I've learned to keep it disassembled until ready to use.

Too say nothing of the heat generated by the light. Not sure if the temperature is high enough to start a fire. But, my HID sure makes a nice hand warmer in coolish weather. (Yes, I do use my DiveRite cannister light both surface and underwater)

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom