LED vs HID

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just to let you guys know,

I spoke with Lamar last weekend about the lights, and he told me that the HID version of the handheld is NO LONGER being produced. It has been replaced by the LED handheld. Pricing is to remain the same. He was explaining to me that divers were using them like "flashlights" out of water, and that they also had "Impact issues" with the bulb balast / heads.

This is a step in the right direction, and I commend Dive Rite and Lamar for identifying an issue, and immediately nipping it in the butt.

Nice job guys.

Cheers :D

D_B:
Just a note ... I have word from the managing director of SOLAS that the Gen2 1250 & 2500 lights are being tested and a link to the review should be up soon

... I can't wait :D

Here's some pics of the Solus 500 versus a 21W and some LED backups. Not impressive at all. Maybe the newer Solus lights will offer something useful.

http://thedecostop.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25208
(see page 6)

Mike Edmonston:
Just to let you guys know,

I spoke with Lamar last weekend about the lights, and he told me that the HID version of the handheld is NO LONGER being produced. It has been replaced by the LED handheld. Pricing is to remain the same. He was explaining to me that divers were using them like "flashlights" out of water, and that they also had "Impact issues" with the bulb balast / heads.

This is a step in the right direction, and I commend Dive Rite and Lamar for identifying an issue, and immediately nipping it in the butt.

Nice job guys.

Cheers :D

The nice thing about the DR is that it can be used well out of the water. I've used it dry caving and was very pleased with the results,as well as cave diving too.

Hello,
we are the producer of the new PHOTON (torch with 22W Ostar-LED) and LED-CAVE.
Maybe there is anybody with interest to these both new light systems and visit our web-site (mb-sub.com: Home).
Sorry, but i must write this text, because i saw which light systems you talk about here in this forum.

Michael

Translated page ... 1000 Lumen Osram Ostar LED Can Light (22W & 1000 lumens from a single LEDE ... Now we're getting somewhere!)
AltaVista - Babel Fish Translation

My primary light is a 10 watt HID with a good light shroud on it. Many people think it is an 18 watt just because of the shroud, and I get eight hours burn time from it. But, I digress . . .

I have owned both the Dive Rite 10 watt HID and the new LED version of the light referred to in this thread. The 10 watt was great for a backup for cave diving. It is also a great light for travel. I have friends that use it as a primary in open water or for night diving. My only issue with the light was that many of my dives involve burn times that would push that light to its limits. The other issue is that it is not good for the bulb to fire it up and then shut it down until it reaches a full glow, which wastes some of the battery. (I always test my lights before entering a cave.)

I now carry the LED version of the light in my pocket for a backup light. I recently fired it up in the complete darkness of a cave zone while on my decompression stops at the end of a dive. This way, I could compare it side-by-side to a full fledged 10 watt HID light.

One great thing about LED technology is that the light turns on virtually instantly. HIDs need about 30 seconds to reach full brightness. Very nice.

The second important factor is that the specs on the light indicate that it will burn at maximum power for 12 hours, and then it will go for almost another 20 hours at reduced power. This can get you back when you are a long way from home!

Dive Rite does make a handle for it. However, in order to make the size of the light (on your wrist) reasonable after installing the handle, they came out with the canister. You can disconnect the head, connect a cable to the body and head, and you now have a canister light with a head that fits into the handle (and on your wrist)in a matter of a minute or two.

Okay, but how is the beam and brightness? The beam was a bit more in the softer yellow colored spectrum compared to the blue-white of the HID. However, I was very surprised to find that the brightness was virtually the same to my eye. (Of course, this is not a testing machine. However, who cares? If it looks bright to me, that is all I care about.) The beam was a bit softer and was very even without hot spots. I would have no hesitation in using this beam for a primary cave diving light.

In short, if I were shopping for a new light right now, I would not hesitate to get an LED light over an HID, and the new Dive Rite LED would definitely be a great choice for anyone. The technology has really gotten that good.

I was also on a recent dive with two divers using the Bubble Seekers lights, and I was highly impressed with those also. Excellent beam and every bit as bright as an HID to my eye.

I predict that the days of HID are coming to an end.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom