Leg lost to prop, negligence - Taiwan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would think that, for most dive boats, a prop cage would be the most sensible idea.

You know divers are going to be in the water so if there is any chance that a diver might be in the vicinity of the prop you should be planning for it. On most rigid dive boats in my experience the ladder/lift is at the rear therefore near the props. If you can't guarantee the engines will always be off with divers down, you need to ensure that the props can't cause damage.
That sounds like a really good idea. Is there some major drawback to having such a thing? There must be, because otherwise it seems like they should become common or even required safety equipment.

I am no boat owner so not sure of the answer to that other than cost. Possibly @Wookie might be able yo shed some light on it.

What a diver should have, and learn how to use, and use on every dive, is a DSMB.

And Dive Alert to blast the h*ll out the boat captain from engaging the propeller while drivers are crowding behind the boat. Let that dang coral crushed than mauling the diver's legs.

really tough tragic accident....best wishes to the victim.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom