Legally Blind Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MetalHealth

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello,

I'm a new member and a visually impaired diver. I was certified ten years ago and have a PADI Rescue cert. I hope that this forum will be a place that other folks with challenges can come to share their experiences and also be inspired.

Dave

I see you surfaced over here too! LOL. I actually started a "legally blind diver" thread here a few months ago, but it seems to have disappeared after they did a little revamping in this section. So far, we seem to be the only ones on the forums, but hopefully there are others out there who will find their way here eventually.

I was thinking I should PM you to see if you'd seen this forum. OK, we're here, now what?

Why not a post describing your individual sight abilities and the relationship of that to your scuba training and experiences.
Ber :lilbunny:

Why not a post describing your individual sight abilities and the relationship of that to your scuba training and experiences.

Metal and I have discovered that our visual impairments are very similar, which is interesting considering they are due to an unusual genetic flaw in our optic nerves (I still wonder if we're related since the only other person I've ever known with that same condition is my own brother) :)

In my own personal training experience, the only consideration involved is that I have to read everything at a much closer proximity than everyone else, as normal corrective procedures (prescription lenses, LASIK etc) do NOT make a significant difference when it comes to reading any sort of text. So far, there have been no problems associated with my vision other than having to miss out on dives because I can't drive and couldn't get a ride.

What she said! Optic nerve atrophy. Pretty rare condition. My dad has it and my two sisters although my sisters can drive. I'll be 40 in August so I've had plenty of time to come to terms with it.

I almost didn't pursue diving becasue I was sure that they would turn me away. To my surprise, when I walked into my LDS and asked, all they said was, "can you read this gauge?" That class changed my life. I moved to FL from AZ and got my AOW and Rescue certs and did lots of diving before moving back to AZ a year later. The plan is to move back to FL one day. I love it there.

DF and I have a lot of common experiences. Not driving is probably the biggest obstacle to diving (not to mention dating back in high shool, ouch!). When I did my Rescue class in FL, the city bus I needed didn't run early enough so I used to pack up my roller duffle and walk six miles to the shop. I like walking so it's not a big deal, just time consuming. I used to try and do a boat dive once a month. While on the boat I would network and arrange to meet other divers at the beach for shore dives. Those were the days!

It's very difficult to describe how I see because I think it is significantly different from how other near-sighted people see when they take their glasses off. I can and do bicycle often. I can read normal text without assistance but I need to hold it very close. I can see people from a significant distance but I probably couldn't distinguish Jessica Alba from my grandmother at 30ft (Ok, that's an exaggeration. I often distinguish people by their body shape and, let's face it, nobody's grandma is shaped like Jessica Alba).

If you met me casually, you would probably not know that I had any type of impairment. I've worked with people for years that were surprised to find out. The biggest clue is seeing me read. I try to tell people upfront now in order to avoid situations that have made me appear rude in the past such as a colleague waving to me from across campus (I'm a teacher) and thinking that I'm ignoring them.

That about sums it up. I know there are others out there with their own challenges who may be considering diving and I hope that they find this forum and that our stories inspire and motivate them to do it.

The best way I've found to describe how I see is this; go to a concert or play and sit in the front row - that's how YOU see the world. Now, move back to oh, about the 30th row and that's how I see it. Nothing is blurry, but if you were to see through my eyes, everything would appear smaller and further away than you are used to. Plus I happen to be color blind and very sensitive to sunlight (hence the dark glasses in my pic - I'd just surfaced and quickly switched my mask for my shades) :)

There is a very common misconception that people like Metal and I have to deal with all the time, and that is that someone is either totally blind or is so severely impaired that they might as well be, or that they can just wear corrective lenses, have LASIK or whatever and be OK. People don't realize that there are a lot of us who are somewhere in between, and that present day medical science does not offer any solutions, but we are still able to function unassisted for the most part. If I had a dollar for every time I'd be reading in public and someone would say something like "Did you forget your glasses today?", I could retire, move to the Caribbean and dive every day for the rest of my life! Glasses just don't make enough of a difference to bother with for most things, although I do wear reading glasses that help a LITTLE if I'm at the computer or reading a book/magazine etc.

I can very much relate to what Metal said about assuming he would be turned away at the dive shop. In my childhood, I was always told "No, you can't do that" to just about anything outside of school or the recreational programs for the visually impaired that I was involved with, many times without even being given the chance to try, and it left me with self esteem issues that I've been fighting ever since. For so long, I didn't try a lot of things I really wanted to because I just assumed someone would end up saying "No, you can't do that" all over again. Fortunately, some great friends of mine bought a dive op in St. Thomas not too long ago and encouraged me to come down and learn Scuba. Last year, I took them up on their offer and was very happy to discover that my vision was NOT a problem when it came to diving. Maybe I have to look at my computer a little more closely than everyone else, and pay extra close attention to where my buddy is, but that's not a bad thing! Diving is a great equalizer and I'm very glad my friends convinced me to go for it! (If you've ever seen me plug Admiralty Dive in St Thomas on these forums, now you know why! I owe Duane and Laura more than I could ever repay for unlocking the door to the underwater world for me).

Kudos to both of you!! Dollfin has proved herself an excellent and responsible diver. I know how excited and proud she was to learn to dive. But, as the Instructing shop, we shared just as much excitement and pride certifying her! You rock GIRLFRIEND!

Ok, curiosity killed the bunny...err cat. A co-worker's wife is legally blind and drives under this program. I'm curious how your sight compares to hers. Just tell me to shut up once I get annoying with the questions, I tend to learn in a roundabout way :D

Ber, don't worry about asking questions! Curiosity is ALWAYS better than ignorance.

I am familliar with bioptics. About 20 years ago, when I lived in SoCal, I attempted to learn to drive with a bipotic lense and just did not feel confident that it provided enough correction. I would NEVER put anyone else's life at risk just to try to be "normal" or prove I can do something. (this philosophy is also somethig I apply to my diving). Some states still do not allow the use of bioptic lenses.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom