Legally Blind Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anchor: As I previously stated, curiosity is ALWAYS better than ignorance so I'm happy to try to answer your questions as best as I can.

My particular situation is extremely unusual, as most of the time, the world looks like a black and white movie. I do see some bright colors under the right lighting conditions, but for the most part, it's just varying degrees of lighter and darker shades. As for art, I usually just looked at the labels to see what the colors were and let my imagination do the rest. I probably created some pretty um, unique drawings. I remember playing with watercolor paints, which are usually NOT labeled so my choices were always totally random there. I wish I still had some.

The type of red/green color blindness WreckChick describes seems to be the most common form, but all types of color blindness are much more rare in women than in men. I've even had people accuse me of lying about being color blind, saying it was "impossible" for a woman to be this way. Go figure.

WreckChick; Laura and Duane are very old, dear friends of mine and we go back a LONG time (even before they were a couple). When they moved down there and took over at Admiralty, they encouraged me to come down for quite some time, but life just kept getting in the way until last year when I finally got the chance. Now I am sorry I waited so long! I think they'll be the first to tell you that the main concern for someone like me is that I can read my gauges, read hand signals and keep track of my buddy, which never seemed to be a problem. I think the bigger challenge for them was just feeling "responsible" for me and needing to shift from "friend mode" to "instructor/student mode" while I was there. But they are top notch pros and I could see that with the other students they had, as well as with myself.

We did not feel teaching Dollfin a challange. Duane and I did feel we wanted her to always be a safe diver, which is no different than any of our students. After getting certified, I sent Doll a nice little "safety" package with all the things she'll need in that "unfortunate situation". She did wonderful! We've also worked with quadraplegics.

Doll, have you ever read anything about Monty Roberts a real life "Horse Whisperer"? I believe he is completely color blind and he mentioned in a book that the military was really interested in him because camouflage isn't effective unless you can see color.

Had any experience with camo?
Ber :lilbunny:

Doll, have you ever read anything about Monty Roberts a real life "Horse Whisperer"? I believe he is completely color blind and he mentioned in a book that the military was really interested in him because camouflage isn't effective unless you can see color.

I'm not familliar with the name but I'll look him up.

Had any experience with camo?

Does my ex BF having been an Army Ranger count? :lol: Actually once in a while, something does end up standing out to me that other people don't seem to notice. I remember pointing out what was, to me, a very obvious coffee stain on someone's shirt, and that person (normally sighted) could not see it.

Actually once in a while, something does end up standing out to me that other people don't seem to notice. I remember pointing out what was, to me, a very obvious coffee stain on someone's shirt, and that person (normally sighted) could not see it.

Personally I would not have been able to resist saying "It's right THERE, what are you? BLIND?" :rofl3:

(Bad bunny :rofl3: )

I've heard from other sources that DollFin is "freakishly" tall.

Only because those "sources" are freakishly SHORT! :lol:

l_a00587a1b6c25799f9c4cb49aac467b3.jpg

I have enjoyed reading this thread and the humor in it.

Have any of you taken the Handicapped Scuba Association Handicap Scuba Association course?

I will not pretend to know what it is like to walk in your shoes, but when I was in training as a Dive Buddy we had to wear a black skirted mask with several layers of duct covering the lens to gain some sense of the blind diver and what they face. I was proud of myself at how well I put together my own gear. I also found the pool and later ocean dives to be "interesting" and I had a tendency to keep turning to the right for some reason.

I once was on a golf course and we caught up to the group ahead of us. One of the golfers was blind and his buddy read the greens and lined him up for the putts and drives. The blind golfer's score was a good 30 strokes under mine!

I have enjoyed reading this thread and the humor in it.

Have any of you taken the Handicapped Scuba Association Handicap Scuba Association course?

I will not pretend to know what it is like to walk in your shoes, but when I was in training as a Dive Buddy we had to wear a black skirted mask with several layers of duct covering the lens to gain some sense of the blind diver and what they face. I was proud of myself at how well I put together my own gear. I also found the pool and later ocean dives to be "interesting" and I had a tendency to keep turning to the right for some reason.

I once was on a golf course and we caught up to the group ahead of us. One of the golfers was blind and his buddy read the greens and lined him up for the putts and drives. The blind golfer's score was a good 30 strokes under mine!

Ah, the old thread resurfaces!!

I actually contacted the HSA numerous times a while back and they kept telling me someone was going to contact me, but no one ever did. I've also been in touch with DiveHeart, which seems like a great group of people but I haven't had the chance to actually dive with them yet.

Your golf story reminds me of the old George Carlin bit about the blind golfing tournament. LOL!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom