Lembeh in february. Which resort would you recommend and why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Freewillow

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi would love to go to Lembeh for 10 to 12 days. Is this too much? If yes, what should I do as a combination, knowing that dive places in this time of the year can be risky?

I have received offers from various places: Kungkungan Bay Resort, Lembeh resort, , Bastianos resort and Divers Log in the order of decreasing prices. The first one, beeing almost the double in $$ compared to the last one.

Is there a valid reason for NOT selecting the two last ones on the list? Are the 2 other ones REALLY much better. We are mostly interested in finding nice dives in a relaxed and calm athmosphere, nothing very sophisticated in terms of entertainment and luxury.

Your opinions and advices are impatiently sought after . Thank you.

Last edited:
Lembeh is great *IF* you're after seeing the best things on your computer screen after the dive. (Most things you see in Lembeh are small -- REALLY small!) Not many reefs.

10 - 12 days is A LOT of time to spend in any one place for diving, but if you plan to do this at Lembeh you best know what you're going to get -- and what you're not going to get.

You have a big camera, and it's an important part of your diving?

- Bill

Thank you bill. I made a 12 days diving in Romblon and Anilao. 90% MAcro Muck diving and I loved it. Of course in Anilao there are some interesting reefs as well.. :)

I always have leave to use in February and ways avoided Lembeh because of the season. But I spent the third week of February in Black Sands and loved it the food was fabulous and the whole resort with beautiful bungalows , a lovely pool and the most wonderful staff , was an absolute delight. Like you I thought that I might find a week too much , but I could easily have done a second week there. There are plenty of things like mimic octopus and coconut octopus that are big enough to enjoy. I can't wait to to back now.

Have been three times. Divers Lodge, Black Sands, NAD

Would do any of the three again

The drawback to Divers Lodge is that it is a bit far from most of the sites in Lembe so you spend more time travelling to and from sites than the others. Also WAY more mosquitoes almost none at the other two. Without repellent you will be eaten alive. Otherwise very nice. Food was good guides were good accommodation also good

Black Sands food was excellent you are very close to the best sites and they use very fast boats so you return to the Lodge after every dive. Accommodation is also excellent. Dive guides are not as good as the other two IMHO

NAD guides were the best. No climb up a long set of stairs to get to accommodation or food. Everything is close to the dock. Accommodation is good food is good.

All things considered I would choose NAD because I found the guides to be so much better and everything else was good. If accommodation and food are important then Black Sands, but you will pay more. If $ is most important than Divers Lodge is a good choice. Just make sure you use the mosquito repellant- everything else is good.

If you love muck and critters, than I don't think 10-12 days is to much time.
II can't comment on any of your resort choices as I'm a multiple time 2fish customer.

I was typing as you posted you like critters.
So 10-12 days will give you the time to load up on your critter count.

We were in Lembeh for a week in February 2012. Most days were more overcast than sunny, and we had a bit of rain, but only a bit. Water temp was pleasant, viz was the usual Lembeh, and there were plenty of critters. No wind or waves. If you like macro and muck, you will not exhaust the dives in Lembeh in 10-12 days. The area is famous for macro, but it's definitely not ALL macro. I would suggest you station yourself somewhere near the center of Lembeh, as opposed to either end. It will be easier to reach all of the strait on more dives, rather than repeating. Have a look at NAD, which happens to be next door to Bastiano's. If you're a photo junkie, you'll appreciate their camera room(s).

Ok, so I've been to Lembeh 7 times, and my 8th trip will be next month :D In all my previous stays, I have stayed at KBR (Kungkungan Bay Resort). As with other dive resorts around the world, they were hit by declining guest numbers due to the economy, and have downgraded their soft product as a way to bring down resort prices. The thing is that while it's now cheaper to stay at KBR, I dislike the changes they've made (note: this has nothing to do with the quality of their dive operations which are still phenomenal, it is specifically about the resort itself). This is just a personal opinion and others may find the changes acceptable. I would have been prepared to keep paying what they used to charge. So this time, on my 8th trip to Lembeh, I've decided to stay at Lembeh Resort instead. Time will tell how it compares.

The reason I like KBR (and Lembeh Resort) is because of their serious setups for photographers. If you are not a desperate obsessive photographer and just want to "go have a look at the critters" and you're not about to throw a tantrum because you still haven't seen that damn hairy octopus...find me a hairy octopus then it's probably not as big of a deal for you to have the kind of setups that KBR and Lembeh Resort have.

Thank you wetpup. While I take submarine videos, I am far from a professional or enthusiastic photographer that is looking for the perfection and the ultimate small critter. I do not need a camera room................... I have a sony RX100 compact with a 2500 lumen lamp. I am only in search of good time and memories. I prefer to "borrow" great pictures from friends :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom