Lembeh Resort or Kungkungan Bay Resort?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If I remember correctly there is internet in the management office of Lembeh Resort and the Dive Center. It is another question if they will let you use the PC. Since they also have to do their work.

In terms of food, once I got bored of the food in the resort, I gave the waiter a tip to get me local food from Bitung. That made a big difference in my choice for meals.

I think the satellite TV is in the small aircon hut next to dining area. When you look at the dining area (main building) it is on the left hand side after the dive center.

Once in LR, you are kind of stuck there. If you like the seclusion and romantic atmosphere, I think it is great. If you want to have a great night of entertainment better stay in Manado.

Hello Deano 2, Divers Lodge Lembeh is definitely not in Pulisan but on the Southwest tip of Lembeh Island. Bitung really has nothing to offer at night. Or you have to like very dark, very noisy hooker disco's. There is 1 intercafe that is terrible slow. I do not eat in Bitung if I can prevent it. We offer a, also not so fast, internet connection in our resort for free. No satelite t.v. but lots of movies on DVD and a reasonable library. If you build the bungalows properly you do not need AC we think. But in our computer room we probably haver to install one I realize now.

Rob

When in a place like LR or many Indonesian resorts you cannot expect the cook to know what a New York thin crust pizza, ceasar salad, swiss meat balls... taste like. So most europrean food that they try to cook does not come out to your expectations.

But if you are willing to try real local food:
Konrow (beef ribs either in soup or with peanut sauce)
Rica Rica (spicy tomato based fish or meat)
Satay (Local mini kebabs)
Pecel Lele (Fried cat fish)
... etc

The meals get really yummy! Either the cook will proudly present his expertise and culture to you or you get the staff to buy it "To Go/Packed".

"When in Indonesia do as the Indonesians do"

Hi David,

I didn't know that they served new york pizza at LR, huh, must have been a night when I wasn't there. Actually I've never ordered new york pizza in Indonesia so not sure where that dig was coming from or why for that matter. I know Indonesian food very well (travelled there extensively for 3 years and I live in Holland) and food at LR was as I said Ok. But maybe your standards aren't the same. The food was good but it won't win any rewards. I'll take Padang in Manado anyday over thin crust pizza or mie goreng for that matter.

Deano2

Deano2:
Hi Don'tLie,
I won't lie to you....I stayed there in 2004 and revisited Lembeh in 2005 but the second time I stayed in Thalassa and did a couple day trips. When I stayed at Lembeh resort there were this large group of photographers from France and they were really unfriendly..I mean really unfriendly. The staff was ok but the guides were totally stressed out by them. Not so good for my dive experience.
French photographers - seem to have come across them myself some years ago at KBR. I know that KBR (Carry and Jim Yanny now manage this) are unlikely to tolerate eco-damaging or dangerous/unco-operative diving. Perhaps they were "moved on" from KBR.

Agreed - not a good experience.

Deano2:
Hi David,

I didn't know that they served new york pizza at LR, huh, must have been a night when I wasn't there. Actually I've never ordered new york pizza in Indonesia so not sure where that dig was coming from or why for that matter. I know Indonesian food very well (travelled there extensively for 3 years and I live in Holland) and food at LR was as I said Ok. But maybe your standards aren't the same. The food was good but it won't win any rewards. I'll take Padang in Manado anyday over thin crust pizza or mie goreng for that matter.

Deano2
Some resorts try to make the guest feel at home, but their guest turnaround and make fun of the quality of the food/chef.

I do not think it was LR that tried to serve PIZZA, but Villa Ombak in Gilly Trawangan. They have a wood fired oven for pizza. Their pizzas were quite nice, italian-asian style, but not to the expectations of an American couple/guests from New York.

The comment I made was meant to be general in nature about try asking the cook to serve up something local. Normally they are more than willing to show off their skills. It is very hard to cook something you have never tasted before.

I think for food quality at the resort, I enjoyed:
Gangga Resort, Bangka
Nabucco, Maratua
Mimpi, Menjangan Bali (not Tulamben)
Taman Sari, Pemutaran Bali
Zen, Seririt Bali
Villa Ombak, Gilli Trawangan Lombok

Not everything is good, but they had some real good dishes.

I'm going to be staying at KBR and Tasik Ria next September, and I'm really hoping that they will have a fair amount of Indonesian food on the menu . . . the times I've eaten Indonesian food elsewhere (Holland) I've REALLY enjoyed it!

I have stayed at KBR and Tasik Ria many times. The food at both places is OK but nothing special - this includes the Indonesian food.

I think we all agree.....who cares !?! We've made it Sulawesi and the food is secondary. If the food was the main point we'd head for Hawaii or Japan were the sushi is sooooo good. In Lembeh or BunaKen the diving matters not the food so base your decision on the dive service not the food service.

Deano,

If these places were low-end budget choices that might be true. But one is paying a pretty good price. To me one of the great pleasures, outside of diving, is enjoying the flavors of cooking in many different countries. It also does not encourage these properties when you say all you care about is the diving. I look for a all-around experience in terms of diving, food, and accommodation. Having said that - to each their own.

DNL2Me

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom