Lens Fogging Underwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ioncloud9

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I recently (last week) did a trip to Cozumel and went diving with my Sony FDR-X3000. About midway through the 2nd dive I noticed the interior of the lens on the waterproof case was fogging. Fortunately most of the footage is still usable: the outer edges of some of the later footage is slightly blurry, the center is still clear. I tried everything to keep the moisture out. Im pretty sure I accidentally got some in when I changed the battery between dives though. The reality was there was absolutely nowhere to go that was cool and dry to take the camera out of the case. Its Cozumel.. the water is 82, the air is 90% humidity, and the AC barely works.

What sort of standard measures should I take to keep the camera dry while changing the battery, or what sort of active measures should I take with the camera to keep moisture from ruining video? Im going to attempt tiny packets of silica gel but there really isnt a whole lot of room in the case for it.

(On a second totally unrelated note, I didn't get any footage of my night dive because I accidentally put the microsd card in upside down. The camera said no card when I turned it on, and didnt think to open it and check because I was terrified of moisture getting into it, so I just left it on the boat.)

****** camera if it allows one to insert the card incorrectly? Try using rice for the moisture.

Sealife recommends these to be inserted in the housing of their cameras. Have you thought about something similar?

Moisture%20Muncher%20Splash%202017.jpg

****** camera if it allows one to insert the card incorrectly? Try using rice for the moisture.

Its a dual purpose card reader. Compatible with microSD and Memory Stick Micro. There is a little image on the camera that tells you what direction is for what card. I should've turned the camera on and checked after replacing the card. It will immediately tell you if it sees the card or not.

I have opened my housing and changed memory cards and batteries on the dive deck in Indonesia and the Philippines where it is even hotter and super humid. One thing you can do is to keep the camera cool - don’t leave it in the sun or in a rinse tank where the water gets heated up from the sun or the dark colored container. I like to keep it in the shade, covered by a damp towel, or in my own AO cooler. I have never had fogging issues and hope it stays this way!

like to keep it in the shade, covered by a damp towel,
I do also.

Plus I bought a longer life battery so I can often go 2-3 dives with it even running it continuously. Not all housings will take them as they're usually longer to the rear.

What housing? some of the clear Ikelite's are more susceptible when left in the sun.
I have a metal Amphibico and if it sees the rinse tank at all - it's just for a quick dunk. On a long boat ride it would beat the crap out of any plastic port housings in the same tank so I never leave it in there. Some people say leaving it in the water helps equalize the temperature with the ocean temps but rinse tanks always seem warmer to me.

Plus I'm sure many of you have seen a clueless diver rinse the defog off his mask in one.

it may not always be possible but when I load the camera in the morning I try to close it directly in the A/C stream - even though the air is cold - it's typically dry.
There's always the chance of condensation though if you go from the room to the water quickly.

My friend uses the same Moisture Munchers in his Ikelite still housing. He dries them out under low heat in the oven the morning of use. They change color as they get used up. Seems to work well.

Last edited:
Try something like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/CamKix-Ant...336&sr=1-1&keywords=Moisture+Removing+Inserts
They are cheap, easy to use and most importantly they do the job. Just find a spot in your case to attach them so that they won't move anywhere they shouldn't be (eg in front of the lens or the screen) during the dive.

During a recent trip to Indonesia I used one every time I opened the housing of my camera. They would come out very wet (dripping few drops of water if you squeeze them with your fingers) but the case was clear of fog!

I do also.

Plus I bought a longer life battery so I can often go 2-3 dives with it even running it continuously. Not all housings will take them as they're usually longer to the rear.

What housing? some of the clear Ikelite's are more susceptible when left in the sun.
I have a metal Amphibico and if it sees the rinse tank at all - it's just for a quick dunk. On a long boat ride it would beat the crap out of any plastic port housings in the same tank so I never leave it in there. Some people say leaving it in the water helps equalize the temperature with the ocean temps but rinse tanks always seem warmer to me.

Plus I'm sure many of you have seen a clueless diver rinse the defog off his mask in one.

it may not always be possible but when I load the camera in the morning I try to close it directly in the A/C stream - even though the air is cold - it's typically dry.
There's always the chance of condensation though if you go from the room to the water quickly.

My friend uses the same Moisture Munchers in his Ikelite still housing. He dries them out under low heat in the oven the morning of use. They change color as they get used up. Seems to work well.

I tend to keep mine in the rinse tank most of the time. I have a Nauticam housing which isn’t clear plastic so maybe that helps!

Hi Loncloud9

Did you use « the Sony Anti-Fog Sheets »?
=> https://www.amazon.com/Sony-AKA-AF1-Action-Sheet-Silver/dp/B009GX30YA/ref=pd_sim_421_53?
Or => Amazon.com: Sony AKA-AF1 Action Cam Anti Fog Sheet (Silver): SONY: Camera & Photo

Have a look at your ‘User's manual »
After use, open the case and late it open without the camera inside.
Dry the "anti-fog sheets" with a hair dryer ... if possible and after, put the "anti-fog sheets" in a plastic bag with a good closing

To avoid internal over heating ( that can cause fogging) I use ( for my Sony HDR-AS50) the function ’turn off after 60 s »)

To avoid distortions in the corners don't use « Wide angle » but medium angle

OK with the others advice …never in the sun.

Not any fogging problem in Indonesia 2017 with my Sony HDR-AS50 see this link ( in freediving)

Don’t forget to use the resolution « 1080p » !
=> Video in free diving

Video from Indonesia 2018 by my friend with is Sony FDX-3000R
He had fogging problem...He followed my advice ... and it was OK
=>

Last time I was in Cozumel I used the hair dryer in the hotel room to warm up the inside of my housing before I headed out. This will work as long as you don't have to open up the housing. If you have to crack the case and change out batteries you will need an "active" solution like the "moisture munchers" mentioned above. Amazon has desiccant packs in multiple sizes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom