Lens question for A6XXX cameras

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hoag

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Does anybody use the Sony/Zeiss 16-70mm f4 OSS lens underwater?

If so how do you like it? It gets great reviews for "normal" use, but I am thinking of getting it because I can use the same Nauticam 7 inch dome port as my 10-18mm lens uses.

Sony Zeiss 16-70mm is said to be a good lens but I don' t see the reason to buy it just for the fact that you own a dome that it fits in. If you want wide angle the 10-18 would be a much better option and if you want a narrower angle with the 16-70mm I would not use the dome.

Sony Zeiss 16-70mm is said to be a good lens but I don' t see the reason to buy it just for the fact that you own a dome that it fits in. If you want wide angle the 10-18 would be a much better option and if you want a narrower angle with the 16-70mm I would not use the dome.
I have the 10-18mm. That is why I have the dome. The 16-70 uses this same dome that is why I am asking about the lens so that I can use both lenses with only one dome. I am trying to downsize my gear, and if I can get so that I only need one lens port (even a dome) that is a big step in the right direction.

It's kind of odd that Nauticam doesn't list a dome solution for 16-50mm... is it a matter of zoom gear compatibility? I shoot 10-18mm in the same 8" SeaFrogs dome and it works fine, but my housing has the zoom knob on the body rather than the port, so zoom works the same regardless of the port that is mounted. Aquatica port chart lists the same 8" dome for 16-50mm and 10-18mm too, albeit with different extensions.

It's kind of odd that Nauticam doesn't list a dome solution for 16-50mm... is it a matter of zoom gear compatibility? I shoot 10-18mm in the same 8" SeaFrogs dome and it works fine, but my housing has the zoom knob on the body rather than the port, so zoom works the same regardless of the port that is mounted. Aquatica port chart lists the same 8" dome for 16-50mm and 10-18mm too, albeit with different extensions.
Nauticam lists a different port (Nauticam #NA-36128) for the 16-50mm PZ lens, but it lists both the 10-18mm and the Sony/Zeiss 16-70 as compatible with the 7 inch dome (Nauticam NA-#36129). I currently have the 16-50mm PZ lens and the 10-18mm lens and therefore, I currently have to pack 2 ports (the NA-36128 and the NA-36129).

I am looking at options to down size my gear, however, and one option that I am looking at is to make it so that I only need one lens port for most trips. I don't shoot a lot of macro, so giving up a flat port for most trips will not be a huge sacrifice and If I do think I will absolutely need a macro capability, then I can bring the port for the kit lens and a diopter.

No compromise is perfect, but I am trying to find out if anyone uses the Sony/Zeiss 16-70 underwater to see if it is a viable option that will give me good images and, on the vast majority of my trips, pack one less port while still giving me coverage from 10mm wide angle through to 70mm for close ups of Christmas Tree Worms, Feather Dusters and small fish such as juvenile Spotted Drums.

Nauticam N85 Port Chart for Sony

the Zeiss 16-70 should certaily give you better IQ than the kit lens 16-50, and a little bit more zoom capability (whe using same ports). With 70 mm behind a dome you will have more or less the same AOV than using a 50mm without a dome. I mean, if are willing to narrow your AOV to fill the frame with a subject, you would have similar results with 50 mm without dome and with 70mm behind a dome.

One aspect to consider is price. The 16-70mm + the needed Zoom gear is very expensive.

Spec sheet for 16-70mm lists maximum magnification as 0.23 - this comes out to 10cm minimum frame width; far too large for something like a christmas tree worm. The magnification for 16-70mm and 16-50mm are actually almost the same - the 16-50mm makes up for its shorter focal length by being able to focus closer.
Dropping the 7" dome and moving to a 4.33" minidome with a fisheye (either Sony 16mm + VCL-ECF1, or Tokina 10-17mm via Metabones) will provide a much larger reduction in packed weight and volume, and will let you keep a decent macro capability via 16-50mm with flat port and a close-up lens.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom