Let the Us State Department know where you will be if outside the US

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The rationale is that if you are, say, SCUBA diving in Paraguay, and there's suddenly a revolution or an earthquake or something, the State Department will know that you're one of the people who they need to evacuate. Or, if you go missing, and your relatives call the government and express concern, they'll know where to start looking.

(That was a joke. Paraguay is one of a handful of landlocked nations that has no coastline, and there's no place to SCUBA dive. But you get the idea)

The foreign service still does help travelers abroad who run into problems, though perhaps not to the degree that was once the case. I suppose it makes sense to notify them if residing abroad or for shorter stays in an area prone to flare ups. In the past when I traveled internationally for work my employers had worldwide security coverage and I would certainly rely on them before relying on the government. Today I'd rely on friends. In either case they can call the G if a situation should arise where it would help.

This is exactly right! I moved to a very hot region of the world. While the climate is very hot I am speaking politically here. I felt it was smart to register with the program so that if things were to get out of hand, they knew I was here and could work to exfil me. It is a nice little blanket of comfort as an American living in the Middle East.

Back
Top Bottom