Let's Re-Brand "Snorkeling"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dont find anything wrong with the word snorkeling,

Most kids growing up near any water source learn to snorkle. I think Its the "gateway" into other ocean activitiys like freediving, or scuba.

Indeed, but snorkelling is more than a child's rite of passage or an apprenticeship that everybody must complete before engaging in alternative aquatic pursuits. In other words, snorkelling can be a perfect end in itself, not just a means of qualifying to do something else. I for one have enjoyed snorkelling for over half a century without ever wanting to scuba dive or freedive instead.

Well, if you want to be REALLY C:cool2::cool2:L, you could change the name of snorkeling to "Ralphing" in honor of the original poster.

It could start off as a ScubaBoard inside joke. Then, as the society of merry freedivers and snorkelers, who used the term "Ralphing" spread, it would catch on in small pockets of coolness until it became part of the vernacular. Finally, one day, someone would ask, "How the heck did that activity get to be called "Ralphing" in the first place?" The answer would be epic and lead back here. That is the stuff of diving lore.

I do agree on this statement. :dork2:

Agree w/ David's comment, as a native German I can assure you, that snorkeling or snorkel diving are not being perceived as "dorky", with the first term describing primarily surface-bound activity that may not even involve fins, and the latter reserved for individuals who spend a major portion of their stint diving, be it for observance, photography, hunting or other purposes. "Schnorcheln" doesn't sound funny or uncool to Germans. As an analogy, if you played the Kazoo, were proficient at it and totally enjoyed it, would think about the fact that "kazoo" is not considered a "cool" instrument, and try to change the name to gain acceptance? The bottom line is what's in it for you, don't worry about percption.

Back
Top Bottom