Lettuce or Lace?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

icechip

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Saw this pale 'tissue-like' flora on my dive today in Maine waters. At first thought they were Sea Lace but now thinking they might be Sea Lettuce? Although I thought Sea Lettuce was always much greener than this.
BP6:16:19f.png

That's pretty cool-looking coral, but I'm referring to the Bryozoan known as Sea Lace. Except what I saw today did not have the fibers like in this photo of Sea Lace. That's why I'm thinking what I saw most likely might just have been a wicked pale version of Sea Lettuce.
31_0MorskaCipkaSertellaSeptentrionalis.jpg

That's pretty cool-looking coral, but I'm referring to the Bryozoan known as Sea Lace. Except what I saw today did not have the fibers like in this photo of Sea Lace. That's why I'm thinking what I saw most likely might just have been a wicked pale version of Sea Lettuce.
View attachment 524565
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure your photo is the same thing, just a different species.

Lace Coral

Capture.JPG

When sea lettuce dies or sporulates, it can turn white. Did it look like a white sea lettuce?

Yes it did. So this stuff was dying/dead? That's interesting, there was a lot of it.

Back
Top Bottom