Level needed for IANTD Adv. Rec. Trimix

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BarryNL

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was looking into taking the IANTD Advanced Rec. Trimix so I can squirt some Helium into my tanks when doing North Sea dives around 30-32m but I was told by the instructor that my current training was insufficient to take this course and I would need to do IANTD Advanced Nitrox first.

I already have DSAT Tec Rec Deep and GUE-F (tech level) c-cards; should I really have to take IANTD Adv. Nitrox or does this guy just have an over-inflated opinion of his IANTD training?

I would accept your qualifications as prerequisites for a TDI Intermediate Tri-Mix course but you should know that it is always up to the individual technical instructor to accept or decline to accept a student.

"Advanced Recreational Trimix Diver
A. Purpose
1. This Program is designed to extend the diver’s knowledge in the use of EANx for Sport diving. It further develops diving skills and provides a greater understanding of the EANx concept of diving. It is also intended to supplement the skills of Recreational Trimix Divers.
2. The Program employs EANx mixes from 21% oxygen to a maximum of 1.5 PO2 combined with a Helium content that maintains an END no greater than 80 fsw (24 msw) may be used.
3. This program qualifies divers to dive to 160 fsw (48 msw) and perform decompression stops required dives up to 15 minutes.
B. Prerequisites
1. Must be qualified as an IANTD Recreational Trimix Diver or Nitrox Diver and IANTD Deep Diver with proof of a minimum of 30 logged dives or sufficient experience to satisfy the instructor that the student has the ability and knowledge to continue into this level of training.
2. Must be a minimum of 15 years of age with a parent or guardian authorization, or a minimum of 18 years of age without guardian approval.
C. Program Content
1. All lectures completed with IANTD Course-specific Slides pertaining to the theory in the IANTD Advanced Recreational Trimix Diver Student Kit.
2. This Program must include a minimum of 120 minutes of OW bottom time completed within 4 dives, 2 of which must be to depths between 100 fsw (30 msw) and 160 fsw (48 msw). If combined with a Deep Diver Program, the total dive time for both Programs must include a minimum of 160 minutes completed within 6 or more dives. Even if the time and skill requirements are met within fewer than 6 dives, the minimum 6 dives must be made. If combined with a Deep Diver Program 3 dives must be made to depths between 100 fsw (30 msw) and 160 fsw (48 msw). All dives deeper than 80 fsw (24 msw) must be made on Recreational Trimix mixtures.
3. Students are taught the use of Recreational Trimix mixtures from 28% to a maximum of 40% oxygen and with the helium content having an END no greater than 80 fsw (24 msw) for diving. EANx mixtures of 1.5 PO2 oxygen should be used for safety and decompression stops.
D. Equipment Requirements
1. IANTD Advanced Recreational Trimix Diver Student Kit.
2. A safety or decompression gas cylinder (if used) rigged as either a pony or stage cylinder. Gas cylinders must be oxygen clean and oxygen serviceable where needed.
E. Program Limits
1. There may be no more than 4 students per Instructor. This ratio may be increased by 2 students for each assisting IANTD Divemaster, up to a maximum of 8 students with 2 IANTD Divemasters per class session.
2. No dives may be conducted to depths greater than 160 fsw (48 msw). Adequate He must be used to provide an END no Greater than 80 fsw (24 msw)
3. All dives must be conducted using EANx or Trimix (maximum 40% oxygen) as a bottom mix. PO2’s as high as 1.5 may be used at the decompression or safety stops.
4. All appropriate safety or required decompression stops must be performed.
5. Mandatory decompression stops are limited to a maximum of 15 minutes
F. Water Skills Development
1. A confined water session must be completed before conducting any OW dives.
2. Demonstrate proficiency in a variety of dive techniques and employ precision buoyancy control.
a. Swim in a simulated out-of-air situation (without breathing, and exhaling slowly) without a mask for a distance of at least 50 feet (15 meters), and commence gas sharing; or appropriate Rebreather gas management drill for out-of air diver. While gas sharing, swim for 3 minutes, then replace and clear mask.
3. On an OW dive, demonstrate dive planning abilities, especially for avoiding CNS exposure risk.
4. On at least two dives use Recreational Trimix with a minimum of 28 % oxygen and a maximum of 40% oxygen and adequate Helium to provide an END no greater than 80 fsw (24 msw)
Revision Date 12/1/2006
Copyright ©2006 by IAND, Inc. / IANTD All Rights Reserved 46 "The Leader in Diving Education"
5. On all dives using Helium do a safety stop at 30, 20 and 15 fsw (9, 6 and 4.5 msw) for a minimum of 1 minute each or a safety stop at 30 fsw followed by a if needed and planed decompression stops at 20 and 15 fsw (6 and 4.5 msw) for no more than 10 minutes maximum based on EAN 50 as a decompression gas
6. Perform a gas sharing ascent using the alternate second stage.
7. Perform gas switches to a decompression gas mixture no greater than 1.5 PO2 on at least two dives
8. Perform valve shutdowns on each dive.
9. Deploy lift bag 2 times, using it as an ascent platform.
10. Demonstrate a safe attitude and awareness to the Instructor’s satisfaction.
11. Remove and replace tank and BCD at a depth greater than 20 fsw (6 msw).
12. Remove and replace tank and BCD at surface.
13. Demonstrate acceptable navigation / orientation abilities.
14. In an area where a depth is attainable beyond the planned depth, evaluate that the student has the discipline not to exceed the dive plan.
15. Demonstrate accident management / control techniques as described in text.
16. If entering the Program based on previous experience, complete the IANTD Deep Diver water skills.
Recommended watermanship evaluation, to be completed during the Advanced EANx course (80%= passing (80 / 100 points)
Skill One (25 points, confined water)
Swim for a distance of 900 feet (270 meters) underwater in SCUBA gear. Score 25 points if completed in less than 7 minutes, and subtract one point for each additional 30 seconds required to complete the skill.
Skill Two (25 points, confined water)
Swim for a distance of 50 feet (15 meters) in SCUBA gear without breathing, then commence gas sharing and swim for a distance of 250 feet (75 meters) without a mask.
Skill Three (25 points, confined water)
Remove SCUBA gear underwater and perform a free ascent to the surface. Take three breaths, perform a surface dive, and don SCUBA gear. Repeat removal and replacement on surface. Score each as follows, then average the two scores for the overall skill score.
Time (mm:ss) Points
2 minutes or less 25
02:01 to 02:20 24
02:21 to 02:40 23
02:41 to 03:00 22
03:01 to 03:15 21
03:16 to 03:30 20
03:31 to 03:45 19
03:46 to 04:00 18
04:01 to 04:10 16
04:11 to 04:20 14
04:21 to 04:30 12
04:31 to 04:40 10
04:41 to 04:50 08
04:51 to 05:00 06
05:01 to 05:30 04
05:31 to 06:00 02
over 6 minutes 00
4 minutes or less 25
04:01 to 04:30 24
04:31 to 05:00 23
05:01 to 05:20 22
05:21 to 05:40 21
05:41 to 06:00 20
06:01 to 06:10 19
06:11 to 06:20 18
06:21 to 06:30 17
06:31 to 06:40 16
06:41 to 07:00 15
07:01 to 07:10 13
07:11 to 07:20 11
07:21 to 07:30 09
07:31 to 07:40 07
07:41 to 07:50 05
07:51 to 08:00 03
over 8 minutes 00
Skill Four (25 points)
Simulated emergency lift bag ascent from a depth no shallower than 50 feet (15 meters), including a 3-minute safety stop. Evaluate on skill in deploying lift bag and on maintaining a tight reel and neutral buoyancy during safety stop. Score 25 points if performed correctly, and subtract 3 points for each mistake made, or five points if the student jams the reel or has to repeat the skill."

I believe the only difference between the two is that standards allow for 15 minutes of deco in advanced, and it would appear that your instructor wants to do so using deco gases hence his requiring advanced nitrox.

So maybe just do the Rec Trimix class. Advanced Rec Trimix won't get you different access to different gases than Rec Trimix.

I believe the only difference between the two is that standards allow for 15 minutes of deco in advanced, and it would appear that your instructor wants to do so using deco gases hence his requiring advanced nitrox.

So maybe just do the Rec Trimix class. Advanced Rec Trimix won't get you different access to different gases than Rec Trimix.

Not a problem. As I say, I already have DSAT TecRec Deep which gives all Nitrox mixes and 100% O2.

If only GUE would hurry up and get their Rec TriOx course going is would solve all these problems :)

I was looking into taking the IANTD Advanced Rec. Trimix so I can squirt some Helium into my tanks when doing North Sea dives around 30-32m but I was told by the instructor that my current training was insufficient to take this course and I would need to do IANTD Advanced Nitrox first. I already have DSAT Tec Rec Deep and GUE-F (tech level) c-cards; should I really have to take IANTD Adv. Nitrox or does this guy just have an over-inflated opinion of his IANTD training?
Are you looking at this course because the DSAT Tec Trimix course is not available to you? Looking at the posted content and requirements of the Adv. Nitrox course, it appears that the Tec Trimix would offer somewhat greater expansion of experience. Certainly, it is the prerogative of the instructor in a case like this to determine if you meet the prerequisite requirements, but there would seem to be little benefit to taking the Adv Nitrox course, considering what you have already done.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom