• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

LGBTQIA people. Is there a need for a sub-forum?

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by El Hefe 612, Jul 30, 2017.

LGBTQIA sub forum

Poll closed Aug 6, 2017.
  1. Yes I think we should have one

33 vote(s)
    25.2%
  2. No I don't think we should have one

24 vote(s)
    18.3%
  3. I have no problem either way

26 vote(s)
    19.8%
  4. Abstain

3 vote(s)
    2.3%
  5. I don't see a need but I don't object

45 vote(s)
    34.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wookie

Wookie Secret Field Agent ScubaBoard Business Sponsor

I belong to the straight white male subgroup. I belong to the captain and engineer subgroups. I belong to the diver, wreck diver, and Trimix diver subgroups. I emphatically do not belong to the sidemoumt, DIR, and tech diver subgroups. See, I identify as a captain, engineer, diver, and straight white male. My subgroups are all priveledged, and I'm proud to be a member. Who am I to say someone else's chosen identities are wrong, any more than my identify as a Trimix diver but not a tech diver is wrong?

This thread is a dead horse.

Cali_diver, Ana and Kharon like this.
  2. RainPilot

RainPilot CCR Instructor Staff Member

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    Ok, let me have a go at explaining my thoughts on this....

SB is not just a forum about scuba. It is a community who have found each other through a shared passion, but many remain even though their involvement is only tangentially scuba related. Exhibit A, the MOF/NMOF threads and the Pub. I would argue that a large percentage of daily posts on the board are only very remotely scuba based.

Lets take the Cozumel thread as an example. In there is a STICKY about taxi fares for crying out loud. Is it scuba related? Hell no. Does it need to be in a forum of its own? Well, where else would you put it so that those who need that sort of info can find it but it doesn't need to clog other threads for those unaffected by the subject matter? A large chunk of the mods job is finding the correct forum for posts where the OP have given up and put it where they think it should go.

Should the taxi thread even be on this Board? Surely people who are affected by this issue have their own boards? Like a Mexico Travel forum or Taxi Rider Anonymous? Surely I don't need to have my board sullied by questions about which tequila is the smoothest in Coz, since I don't care about tequila or Cozumel and don't care who drinks what?

Like I have said before, this is my family. Of course when you want to talk about something you care about, there should be a place to talk to people you care about. If keeping the specific issues that are only of interest to a handful of members in a spot here it can be easily viewed and also easily ignored, why not? This subforum is not about exclusion, LGBTQIA members already post everywhere and anywhere on the Board and will continue to do so. this is about filing and organisation more than anything else.

Lastly, we have at any one time nearly 10x more Google Guests on the site than members. A large portion of the people getting benefit from SB are not members, they find us to answer a question and then go live their lives. For these people, being able to find the stuff they care about easily is very valuable and a large part of why so many people use us. Have a thought for them too.

PS I have no issue with the Coz folks, just making a point.

3. RayfromTX

RayfromTX Student Of Gas Mixology Staff Member ScubaBoard Sponsor

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    MIC DROP!

4. Storker

Storker Divemaster

For me, it's pretty simple. Some people have issues I don't see. Does that mean that their issues don't exist? Heck, no. Am I competent to tell them that their issues don't exist? Heck, no.

5. Capt Jim Wyatt

Capt Jim Wyatt Hanging at the 10 Foot Stop Staff Member

# of Dives: 5,000 - ∞
    And smells like a dead horse too.

6. Murky Waters

Murky Waters Manta Ray

(picks up dead mic, turns it on...)

I am an individual human being. I belong to no subgroups.

(turns off mic, puts it back down)

Saboteur and Wookie like this.
  7. Storker

Storker Divemaster

You think...

Kharon likes this.
  8. Ana

Ana Solo Diver

ok so where is the link to this sub-forum already? has it been created yet/
    how about now?

9. El Hefe 612

El Hefe 612 Sings "Wheels on the Bus" Daily Staff Member

# of Dives: 0 - 24
    They're working on it. But it's happening.

Ana likes this.
  10. MichaelMc

MichaelMc Divemaster Candidate

This is scuba, no breath holding allowed.

It's a stealth launch, so all the lookie loos got bored and move on. I have no knowledge of that, but it's not a bad idea.

Ana likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.