Solved: LGBTQIA people. Is there a need for a sub-forum?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
El Hefe 612

El Hefe 612

Sings "Wheels on the Bus" Daily
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Okay… First, I know I'm new here. Second, I'm genuinely curious. And third, I read the entire 18-page thread of the "LGBTQ Divers?" question. As a openly gay, married man I would love to have a place to connect with other gay men, women, and like-minded individuals to discuss dive travel opportunities, to find dive buddies without having to worry about whether or not they might have a problem with me, and to feel comfortable talking about things that might impact us.

If possible, I'd like to have a board created under Non-Geographic Clubs called:

LGBTQIA Divers and Their Friends

I have spent the past week-and-a-half searching the internet (and this board) for such clubs, and I was surprised how lacking they were. It's been six years since the original question was posted in the thread referenced above. I know if I'm interested, that there are probably many others who would be too, but they may just be afraid to ask. Many of the responses in the thread above were not very understanding of what it is like living as an LGBTQIA individual in a predominantly heteronormative global society. Having such a space is not about excluding anyone, it's about having space where we don't have to worry about being who we are and can focus on what we love - diving (among many other things).

Thanks!

Yes if enough would like it, or know others that would. Adding presumably another green zone is an issue for the mods.

A ‘fine or supportive’ poll option might better allow casting such a vote. Not LG and do not currently talk with any on such issues, so voting yes feels odd, so I have not yet voted. But I absolutely would like to not vote No.

Divers might have wide tolerance, having worked somewhat to very hard to safely enter a place of natural beauty that required stripping concerns to those that really matter, yet some have strongly held views core to their identities. So I am sure there are issues, just as I am sure the women get issues with their `role` or actions.

It might or might not have much traffic, which is fine. People might get banned, which might be informative (were it actually visible), which is prejudicial of me.

Interesting that there are 7 no votes, but no negative comments, which says more to me than the yes votes.

Interesting that there are 7 no votes, but no negative comments, which says more to me than the yes votes.

Adding a sub forum injects unnecessary politics and cultural identity into a website and a sport that is apolitical and asexual. If there is a specific question or concern it can be posted in one of the dozens of sub-forums. Scubaboard is a website and community dedicated to the love of diving, there is no reason to create a segmented section based on sexual orientation.

Consider this done. I'm not altogether comfortable with another group, as I don't like such labels. If enough LGBT users let me know via PM that they want such a group, I'll oblige.

I did not vote. Know several LGB folks. I can see that they might want such a forum. I think it is their choice and if SB wants to add one that is fine with me. I think the value of having such a subforum is that it sends a welcome to the world of diving message. It also provides a place to post questions not of general interest like all the other subforums.

Um... you changed the focus from "is there interest" to "is there a need." It's a subtle difference, but an important one. I think there is definitely a need for LGBTQIA safe space, but I'm not sure how many LGBTQIA individuals are interested in such a board. I think perhaps the question should be directed to those for whom safe space is the issue - LGBTQIA divers and their families/friends. So maybe, "As an LGBTQIA diver, are you interested in a sub-forum around LGBTQIA divers, their families/friends, and related issues?"

When I'm entering a space, I want to know immediately, up front if the space is safe and if I am allowed to be myself without having to worry about those questions in the first place. For example, as a gay, White, pagan, male living with disabilities, I would be very hesitant to engage individuals on a board titled Christian Divers. Likewise, I hate having to preface any request for a diving buddy or travel group with, "I'm gay. I hope that's not a problem." when looking to find an interested diving partner or travel opportunity. Also, if I'm traveling abroad, knowing a trip was organized by an LGBTQIA group assures me that the organizers were more likely to take into consideration the possibility of persecution in that foreign location - Muslim countries have been know to hang, behead, or stone-to-death gay men and women. So having a board to discuss these things is about protecting my life. I'm uncomfortable with that decision made by everyone on here rather than by those for whom this directly affects. Again, are LGBTQIA individuals (and their families and friends) interested in having that space?

If you keep adding letters to your acronym you're gonna need a wider forum, or at least more pages.

living with disabilities,

If you are looking for dive buddies then I think it is important to preface the request with any limitations that affect the dive itself. Things like "have 3 dives", "suck air with a SAC of 5.0", "Need help carrying my equipment", etc. are important. Depending on the dive and the lmitations I may or may not be interested in diving with such a person.

If one googles,there's no shortage of LBGT sites already out there?

Gay scuba diving is found at www.UnderseaX.com

He's not interested in hanging out there. THIS is the preeminent SCUBA diving forum. Not THAT. Live and let live. Why would anyone even care about this? Don't like it, stay away. I find the pub to be objectionable. Ergo I don't go there. I don't bleat that we should not have a neo-fascist political section in a SCUBA forum. (Besides, it's good for Pete's business and helps keep this free for everyone else). There are plenty of alternatives for that too...no? At least this new section will have a diving focus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom