Liability Insurance for Scuba Clubs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

orion612004

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi All,

Not sure if this is the correct location for this but this is for other clubs in the Northeast.

I run a scuba diving club in southeastern new england and we have an event on New Year's Day, similar to the polar plunge but with scuba gear. This event is a fundraiser and we typically have upwards of 100 people, half of them divers and the others as shore support/ event help. This event has been happening for over 50 years and to my knowledge without incidence. The town where the event is held has had a spot on the application asking about liability insurance and I have always put a line through it. The application has always been approved. I am going in front of the parks and rec committee tonight to talk to them tonight but we I emailed the form in, I was told that the Town's Risk Manager was requiring insurance. I got a quote to cover the event but its expensive given that we are in the water for an average 30 minutes before relocating to a different venue.

What are other clubs doing in regards to liability insurance? Does anyone else have this issue?

Hi All,

Not sure if this is the correct location for this but this is for other clubs in the Northeast.

I run a scuba diving club in southeastern new england and we have an event on New Year's Day, similar to the polar plunge but with scuba gear. This event is a fundraiser and we typically have upwards of 100 people, half of them divers and the others as shore support/ event help. This event has been happening for over 50 years and to my knowledge without incidence. The town where the event is held has had a spot on the application asking about liability insurance and I have always put a line through it. The application has always been approved. I am going in front of the parks and rec committee tonight to talk to them tonight but we I emailed the form in, I was told that the Town's Risk Manager was requiring insurance. I got a quote to cover the event but its expensive given that we are in the water for an average 30 minutes before relocating to a different venue.

What are other clubs doing in regards to liability insurance? Does anyone else have this issue?
You've gotten away for a long time without insurance. Amazing, since the clubs officers are personally on the line for any lawsuits that may come your way. Remember, it's not the dead person (the club member) who will sue you, it's basically anyone who can get standing in court.

So the town doesn't want to be the deep pockets here. Completely understandable.

Yes, diving liability insurance is expensive.

@doctormike is first past president of the New York Sea Gypsies. He will have some insight for you.

You've gotten away for a long time without insurance. Amazing, since the clubs officers are personally on the line for any lawsuits that may come your way. Remember, it's not the dead person (the club member) who will sue you, it's basically anyone who can get standing in court.

I understand that, we have a waiver (for as good as they are) that is signed prior to the event and at the other venue.

Yes, diving liability insurance is expensive.

I also understand that, I've been an instructor for 8 years

@doctormike is first past president of the New York Sea Gypsies. He will have some insight for you.

50 years == 1968--

As a club you can be held individually and collectively liable for any and all injuries or fatalities.
it is suggested that you contact a local reputable insurance agent for coverage for your club and certainly for the event

It is just the times we happen to live in

SDM

50 years == 1968--

As a club you can be held individually and collectively liable for any and all injuries or fatalities.
it is suggested that you contact a local reputable insurance agent for coverage for your club and certainly for the event

It is just the times we happen to live in

SDM

Thank you for your insight and advice. I have already spoken with and gotten quotes from insurance companies as well as spoken with DAN. I am looking to see what other dive clubs are doing for insurance as we can't be the only ones having issues hosting events.

Thank you for your insight and advice. I have already spoken with and gotten quotes from insurance companies as well as spoken with DAN. I am looking to see what other dive clubs are doing for insurance as we can't be the only ones having issues hosting events.
I am a member of 2 dive clubs. Both have professional liability insurance to cover their events and travel. I wouldn't be a member if they didn't.

I am a member of 2 dive clubs. Both have professional liability insurance to cover their events and travel. I wouldn't be a member if they didn't.

Who is the liability issuance through? Is it simply D&O Liability Insurance or a group insurance?

Because most clubs sponsor some sort of dive travel and dive events, they get their insurance through one of the big 3 dive insurance companies in the USA. (Witherspoon, V&B, or Owl) For event insurance only, I would assume that you would go through an event insurance company. I don't know how likely they would be to write you. DAN is writing insurance for facilities and instructors, I don't know if they would write a single event policy.

Because most clubs sponsor some sort of dive travel and dive events, they get their insurance through one of the big 3 dive insurance companies in the USA. (Witherspoon, V&B, or Owl) For event insurance only, I would assume that you would go through an event insurance company. I don't know how likely they would be to write you. DAN is writing insurance for facilities and instructors, I don't know if they would write a single event policy.

It sounds like you are talking about adding the club as an "additional insured" to a member's instructor policy or shop policy. I have already added the club as an additional insured on my policy but I was under the belief that would only cover the events when I am acting in the capacity of a professional (ie leading local dives, etc)

I didn't think V&B had a group insurance plan that covered clubs and DAN confirmed on the phone that they do not either.

Back
Top Bottom