Liability with buddies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Flea Dog

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Interesting thought, dive professionals carry liability insurance. What if you are not a professional and have a long time dive companion or a quick pairing up with someone you never met?

What is your liability with regards to your buddy? How can you protect yourself from a suit by the other diver or their family?

Regards,

Flea Dog

I'm not sure what the legal basis would be for a suit against you, the partner. You didn't agree to any assumption of risk in diving with a certified adult, and the fact that they are certified seems to indicate an implicit understanding of risks. I suppose if witnesses testified that you repeatedly ignored physical, environment, or mental conditions and more or less forced someone into a bad situation that there might be grounds for wrongful death, but I would greatly doubt it. Dive professionals need insurance because there is an understanding of care and supervision; that is, the actions that contributed to my death were possibly caused by your instruction or were caused by your negligence in supervision. I assume none of that in being a "civilian" dive buddy.

Just my $0.02 worth.

well i dunno about your predicament
but
i recently found that because im DM and a AI even if im not current if something bad happens i can be draged into it because i have a card saying im a dive professional.
WOW
my response.
ill dive solo
see ya

Where did you hear that from? I have a buddy who's an ex DM and he was told the opposite. As he relates it once you let the insurance lapse you're no longer a DM until you get insurance. I can't say for sure because I'm not a DM nor have I ever seen the materials to become one.

My understanding is that part of being DM is carrying insurance. As a DM, you are responsible for everyone on the dive. My instructor actually insists that as soon as you become a certified DM, you start working toward becoming an instructor because of the liability concerns.

Flea Dog:
Interesting thought, dive professionals carry liability insurance. What if you are not a professional and have a long time dive companion or a quick pairing up with someone you never met?

What is your liability with regards to your buddy? How can you protect yourself from a suit by the other diver or their family?

Regards,

Flea Dog

This is an interesting question and one that I'll ask my lawyer about. In my case, at least with my regular buddy it could get really sticky as far as investigations go; she's not only my dive buddy, she's my wife. You just know that if something were to happen to either of us, the other would be under the microscope.

If diving with a regular buddy, one with whom you have shared the risk on many dives, practice skills regularly, etc there may be a good argument toward an implied liability.

As to an insta-buddy...it's a real good question. It can also get sticky if the dive op "forced you" to buddy up. If you're buddied up against your will, there may be a case for arguing that you were under duress. Any contract entered into either written, verbal or assumed while under duress is null and void.

Jurisdiction also comes into play. What is law in the US may not be the same in Canada, or the countries in the Caribbean.

I doubt that a diver could be held liable for his/her buddy’s death. The argument could always be made that an attempt to render aid would place you in mortal danger, and thus withholding aid was a self preservation/self defense reflex action; again very hard to prove.

The big question is does agreeing to buddy up with a diver create either a verbal or implied contract? Interesting……

Flea Dog:

The real truth is liabilty can only be determined by a court and then only if your buddy or their family decide you are the somehow responsible for their injury/death and sues.

Protect yourself?, I have no clue outside of "dive leaders" whats available.

I would hazard to guess that the reason you have a duty as a DM is because you are being paid to safely guide other divers. When diving with a buddy (insta-buddy or long-time buddy) you are not being paid for your services, and therefore no special duty of care attaches.

I have been researching to try and find a specific instance where a SCUBA buddy, instructor, or DM was sued for negligence in an accident, but I really can't find anything reported (not to say it doesn't happen, just doesn't seem to be appealed and published in the official reporters).

Maybe we should draw up a contract now. Just like the ones that the dive shops, operators, and dive boat companies do! How about we all go out and become notary publics. Yes, yes, I like it.

Don't worry, dive happy. The lawsuit that will bring you down is the one you least expect to occur.:jpshakehe

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom