Life Coach Strategy for Getting to Go Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Trace Malinowski

Training Agency President
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
After 29 years as a professional scuba instructor, I realized that we have neglected a very important demographic. Most of you have probably walked into your local dive center and inquired about learning to dive. Or, perhaps you were on vacation and the opportunity presented itself. Most of you probably entered the sport alone. Others may have taken the open water course with your spouse, partner, kids, or a friend.

After you are certified, most of you probably realized that the two biggest obstacles in your path to the water are your wife and your boss. If your spouse is a diver or has her own passion for something she wants to be doing, you are lucky. I've never been married, but I've dated women who dive at the tech and cave level like myself and that was pretty great. Even more great, my girlfriend for the past 6 years is a pro figure skater who trains and coaches almost every day. That means she does her thing and I do mine. Together, we like to ride horses and hike. But, it frees me up to dive alone or with my friends.

I'm my own boss, or occasionally I work for a shop, so the boss is usually happy that I'm going diving.

But, for those whose spouse doesn't dive, and doesn't want to dive, there is hope. Your boss!!! That's right. Get your other boss, the one that signs your paychecks, addicted to scuba diving. It's your best shot at escaping the 40+ hour work week followed by the dreaded weekend "honey-do" list. Maybe your business meeting, CER, and training update locations will change from places like Kansas City or Cincinnati to places where there is diving like Vancouver or Miami? Maybe you'll get an extra day tossed into a business trip to get wet? Maybe you'll get to play hooky with your boss and go diving? Who knows? Maybe even get that promotion?

As an instructor and dive buddy, I've heard, "My wife won't let me," so often, if I had a dollar for each time I heard that, I would have actually made a profit in this industry. So, I propose trying to encourage your boss to go diving. It's your best shot. Other than divorce and quitting your job to do what I do. Let me know how it works out. o_O

@Trace Malinowski, this is very interesting!

Unfortunately, it won't work for me. My boss(es) think I put my life at risk every time I go diving. Whenever they hear I'm going on yet another scuba diving trip, they literally wish me luck that I come back alive. I doubt they're gonna wanna take the plunge with me!

But on the other hand, I'm lucky. My husband is my buddy. We go diving together.

The only obstacles for us are a limited bank account and our limited vacation time.

Last edited:
Get your other boss, the one that signs your paychecks, addicted to scuba diving.

The big obstacle is most people that run companies at all levels have so little free time in their 70+ hour/week work schedule that sleep is a higher priority than diving. I have no doubt that it would be good for them but it is a hard sell, especially for small business owners with no middle management.

I am the boss (at work, not at home :wink:), but in Local Government, there isn't much hope of work associated travel..... and nobody in my group dives.

Now, for the spouse.... she is a diver, but a "easy recreational" only type (the Keystorm is too much for her - long story). She only does a couple dives a year.....

It is a challenge...:surrender:

Terrible idea, it won’t take long for a boss to begin to see some strange correlations. Those correlations may be centered upon Health issues and meteorological, atmospheric and oceanographic conditions.

In other words, you always seem to call in sick when the water is calm and the vis reports are good.

Where I worked, the college interns turned out to be the most readily available pool of dive buddies. Of course, that entailed spending half the weekend playing nursemaid. One kid even had a dive-master card (from Florida) and didn't know how to put on a wetsuit! Oh, he also turned out to be my boss's boss's son, which was a little weird.

Kinda funny post since, I got the final push - after 25 years of waiting - to start the trip to my OW certification by one of my employees who did it and was sharing her stories/photos of the experience. But, before I could do it, I had to convince my wife to join me in the endeavour! :) Fortunately for me, I had been seeding the waters for about 5 years with several snorkelling excursions and, on our last cruise, a helmet dive in Bermuda with her. She did fine, figured out it wasn't anything to be afraid of, and earlier this month got her OW certification alongside me. #buddy4life

I’m single so what I’ve done is gather a group of guys whose wives and girlfriends are not into diving. I have a regular buddy and rotate the others through as schedules permit.

Back
Top Bottom