• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Lifou dive shop?

Discussion in 'The Pacific Islands' started by CJS, Apr 25, 2019.

1. CJS

CJS Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    I going on a cruise later in the year and I'm trying to find out if there is a functioning (and safe) dive shop on Lifou. Searching the web isn't turning up much except for this. Has anyone got recent experience diving with them, or someone else in Lifou? They seem to have had a change of ownership in the past few years.

2. Ouvea

Ouvea Solo Diver

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    It's the only dive shop on Lifou. I drove around the entire island and didn't see another dive shop. Yes, you do need a car to travel on the island, as it is very large. The dive shop is inside the Easo tribu, specifically but a few steps inside the Gite Benoit Bonua and on the right of the main gravel entrance. You can think of a Gite as a hostel, where you bring your bedding, although there is a restaurant on site. Be aware that in New Caledonia, you have limited service, so don't expect 24/7 shops. To my knowledge, Anabella was still the owner and she did reply to my inquiries last year. Shop provided steel tanks, 5mm Mares wetsuits, Mares BCDs and Mares regulators. My MR12 was paired with a Scubapro G250. Was pleasantly shocked!

The diving is fantastic by the way. I saw Tunas but a few hundred meters from shore and I was in 30 meters of water just a few hundred meters from shore. The following clip (a bit long, sorry) should give you an idea of the diving on Lifou, which is far far far far better than the diving around Noumea.

3. CJS

CJS Nassau Grouper

Thank you! I actually got in touch with them via Facebook. Initial contact was positive, but I have not received any reply to a subsequent communication. Do you have an email address?

4. Ouvea

Ouvea Solo Diver

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    I emailed them at lagoon.safaris@gmail.com. Your experience mirrors mine. The email communication is rather slow. The staff does speak English and the owner, I believe, is either from Australia or New Zealand. I have noticed that email communication in New Caledonia is not every effective and people still prefere to operate via phone calls. In my opinion, it may just be and old school preference that has been slow to evolve. I found that very unusual, as everyone is on a mobile phone, texting (yup saw the Gendarmes popping those on phones while driving) and surfing the web.

5. CJS

CJS Nassau Grouper

Thank you!