Lift Bags, which ones do you like & why??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JT2

Reaction score
I'm just doing a little lift bag research and wanted some opinions as to which ones everyone preferred and why? My local LDS only carries the Carter bags, and they are the only ones I have ever used or seen up close. What do you like?

I have a Carter clone, and a closed Halycon. I prefer the Carter style for use as a lift bag, and the closed Halycn for use as a DSMB.

PHil

For actually lifting I use Carter triangle bags (I have a 500, two 100s, and a 50), for shooting purposes I use a 50 lb open bottom from Divers Supply (Sea Elite brand). I've tried the CC bags from Halcyon but I very much dislike disconnecting an inflator to fill them and don't like having the bag in so close to my body when filling, I like to hold it away from myself and fill it with my long hose.

I'm looking forward to seeing the new Halcyon open bottom bags. Will likely buy 2 of them to replace the Sea Elites.

Tom

For those who are using closed circuit type bags, what happends if the inflator device breaks? Can it break and can you still fill it if it does?

http://www.carterbag.com/

I like the 110 lb Carter personal float, it's almost 6' tall & 9" in diameter. It's a closed bag, but uses a duckbill flapper valve in the bottom. You fill it with reg exhaust or optionally orally.
It serves well as a hang bag as well as a sausage.
Run away from bags that need a hose plugged onto them.

cadet diver once bubbled...
For those who are using closed circuit type bags, what happends if the inflator device breaks? Can it break and can you still fill it if it does?

There's very little there to break, but, as with any equipment, suppose it could happen. Far as I can tell, it would not be usable.

WreckWriter once bubbled...
I've tried the CC bags from Halcyon but I very much dislike disconnecting an inflator to fill them and don't like having the bag in so close to my body when filling Tom

Being in the PNW, I use either my drysuit hose (which is usually hooked to an argon bottle), or a separate LP drysuit hose I have clipped to left waist. If I was diving wet, I would have the LP hose clipped off and use that.

Phil

I've never used a closed bag, as the open ones work just fine for me and the thought of hooking up a hose just doesn't sit well with me.
And since the open bottom bags work, I apply the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" rule.
Rick

If anyone is interested, the Dive Shop I am buying my bags from has two 1000lb Carter bags for sale for $200 each, she said they cost her more than that, and the guy that ordered them never came and got them, so she would like to sell them as soon as possible. Although I don't have a use right now for a 1000lb bag is this a good price?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom