lift bags

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Miller

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have most of the high $$$ things. So I was planning on a lift bag and reel as my next buy. What is the recommend size for the lift bag? I don’t plan on lifting anything. But while in Key Largo, I saw two really nice anchors lying on the bottom. We got one, but the other was too big to bring up without a lift bag. We were at 80 ft. Are there other uses for lift bags? Thanks in advance for any help.

There are many uses for lift bags. There are bags from 50lb lifts to 1500lb lifts and more. It starts with knowing what you plan to do with the lift bag. As in every other task, you need the right tool for the job. You don’t use a hammer to change a light bulb. The best list bag is one that has a lift capacity that is equal to or slightly greater than that object to be lifted. In reality, for the average diver this may not be practical, as the average diver does not have a large collection of lift bags from which to choose from. Depending on what the diver plans to do with the bag, most divers carry either a 50, 75 or 100lb lift bag.
Divers use lift bags for a variety of things. To lift or move an object. To send a bag to the surface with a reel to be used to control depth during decompression diving. ( Often referred to as shooting a bag ). To send a message to a surface support team. ( Some bags have a place to write on them). To use in an emergency for buoyancy should your BC fail and there are others. 1st you need to know what you plane on doing with the lift bag and then you can make a more educated decision on which bag you need.

Dive Safe ……………………Arduous

my LDS has carter bags they stock 2, a 50 and a 100 lbs bag. Most divers will use one of these but more are available.

infact carter makes bags from 25 lbs of lift to 15,000 lbs of lift. Depending on its use the options are there.

I carry a 50 lbs lift bag but if i was to buy a new one ( which im contimplating) i would opt for the 100 lb one. For me a 100 lb bag would cover my needs. I have come accross a weight belt and 2 anchors on one dive and had to come back for one of the anchors on the next weekend.

Andy

Originally posted by trymixdiver
my LDS has carter bags they stock 2, a 50 and a 100 lbs bag. Most divers will use one of these but more are available.

infact carter makes bags from 25 lbs of lift to 15,000 lbs of lift. Depending on its use the options are there.

I carry a 50 lbs lift bag but if i was to buy a new one ( which im contimplating) i would opt for the 100 lb one. For me a 100 lb bag would cover my needs. I have come accross a weight belt and 2 anchors on one dive and had to come back for one of the anchors on the next weekend.

Andy

Carter also has some multi purpose bags called, Gorilla Floats. You should check these out before you buy a single purpose bag.

The Carter bags are pretty much bulletproof. I have a 50 and 100 lb. that I keep on the bottom of my Backplate. You also have the Closed style bags from Halcyon. They are ok, but have heard about them splitting at the seams when shot at a deeper depth. There are a lot of bags out there - find the one that is right for the job you are doing,
Eric

Hey
I have a bag and reel and almost never dive in the ocean without them. I dive alot of NJ wrecks and I run the reel alot when vis is on the bad side. The lift Bag I use is one of the 100lb bags and i have a strap and D-ring on each of my tanks that I clip the reel and bag to I also have a piece of surgical tubing near the D-ring so i can keep the lift bag closer to my tank. I love having the lift bag knowing that if I dont find the anchor line I dont have to make a free ascent I can just shoot the bag.:D

Ok so in my last post I forgot to mention what I use. I carry a Carter 50lb lift bag on my dives and I use a Seal Reel from Scuba Reef Ass. And hey Scubadude17 I always find the anchor because I attach the reel line to it. Ha ha J

well i meant if I wouldnt be running the reel and some how the vis got kicked up ( it happens). I also never clip the line right onto the anchor I was always taught to clip the line in 2 or 3 feet from the anchor so if the anchor line snaps it doesnt take you for a spin

I carry a 50 pound lift bag that folds up nicely into a little 4"X6" pouch carried on the left side, either clipped to the BC or the the tank and BC, depending on which BC I'm wearing. Don't know the brand name - it's yellow...
Rick

I use the Halcyon. Have both a 80lb and a older 125lb. I like the closed design. But the open has advantages too. Haven't had mine split at the seams either.

Back
Top Bottom