Lift Boat capsize off Port Fourchon, 12 missing.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nolatom

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
You may have seen or heard this on the news. It happened yesterday afternoon just off the Louisiana Coast near Port Fourchon and Grand Isle, a lift boat with spuds in the "vessel" mode so fully retracted, capsized in extremely bad weather.
Of 19 crew, 6 have been rescued from the water, 7th one died, remaining 12 still missing.

1 dead, 6 rescued after commercial boat carrying 19 capsizes in Gulf of Mexico, USCG says

I've posted it here rather than in the Accidents and Incidents Section since it is not a Scuba accident or incident, but it may, and probably will, involve rescue divers trying to penetrate the interior of this three-fourths-capsized vessel, to try to rescue those who we dearly hope are alive inside.

There are such "commercial" divers, and they can do amazing things. I hope it turns out that they're able to do so here.

Maybe this should be in the Commercial Diving section instead. But it may of wider interest to the general diving community as well.

Thank you, that link is quite interesting.

I also searched “seacor lift boat”

8294C91D-D5FE-4912-BB60-D64E2C25ADBE.jpeg

I would think that before these ungainly things do anything, a bunch of meteorologists would be lined up.

Hoping for air pockets and strong response. Prayers.

It is unusual that they would have been traveling in bad weather, normally they are very picky about the weather.

I don't know I was guessing, I've been on these boats in some bad weather and never felt unsafe jacked up

Yeah. Underway is a totally different beast. All that steel that high is bad news. Normally you jack down in heavier seas. Doesn't sound like they had time.

Sad all the way around.

I have been reading more on this and it looks like it was about 3 hours from its destination so probably traveling.

The forecast was for 39 mph winds at the time, due to an unusual weather event the actual recorded wind gusts were as high as 117 mph! Multiple vessels recorded 90 mph gusts!

No joy as families wait. Two bodies brought out of the port engine room Saturday by the divers.
I believe that makes it ten accounted for, six were survivors. Meaning 9 still missing at this point. Families and searchers all trying to stay positive.

But it’s been five days now. Weather has finally improved. Hope against hope.

Thanks for the update @nolatom

Prayers for all involved.

Reactions: Doc
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom